- A new Kickstarter project sprung from two years and 80,000 miles on the open road. In 2011, Foster Huntington quit his job in New York City, bought a VW Vanagon, and set out for the horizon. Along the way, he's documented fellow nomads and their alternative means of transportation-cum-habitation. This week, he launched a crowd-sourcing campaign in the hopes of turning his photos and stories into a book. Here are some of his favorite shots.
- "Red, White and Blue. Vans like this 70s Dodge Sportsman are a rare sight in Central Baja, where most cars are Japanese subcompacts or large American pick-ups."
- "Trevor Gordon is an artist, surfer, and Patagonia ambassador. We've gone on a handful of trips over the last year and he recently purchased this Jeep Comanche and is planning to drive up to Northern British Columbia later this month."
- "I spotted this Vanagon on the side of the 1 in Big Sur. More and more these Westfelia are pampered by the wealthy and rarely used. This was not of those Westys and had a healthy amount of rust and dust."
- "Chris and Dan Malloy waking up in the Eastern Sierra."
- "I first saw Jay Nelson creations a few years ago in a Lloyd Khan book. In 2006, he turned a Honda civic into a camper and drove across country in it. This is his latest."
- "Ala Travels with Charlie on the PCH in Southern California."
- "A full-time Vanlifer's camper in National Forest Land in Arizona."
- "Cyrus Sutton is a close friend of mine and also lives in his van. He spends most of his time in San Diego. This spring he went on a two-month trip to Mainland mexico in this camper."
- "I ran into this family of five in Southern Baja. They are from Orange County and found bought their van on ebay for $1800. With some modifications, it's become their second home."
- "Ryan Burch setting up a 7'6 gun for a large day at Mundaka, Spain, in front of a VW T4 Weekender. It just happened to be during the same swell that the largest wave in history was surfed a few hundred miles down the coast in Portugal "
- "My good friend Evan Daniel has an 87 Syncro. I've known him for 7 years and was one of the first people I told when I decided to leave my life in NYC."
- "In February of 2013, a group of friends and I loaded up our campers and drove twelve hours into Mexico. Here is one of my friend's homes for those two weeks."
- "Jack Hathaway spends a bunch of time in this long wheelbase Ford Econoline van. From the outside, it looks like any other work van, but inside, it's done up in reclaimed lumber and set up for surfing."
- "An econoline camper in Venice, California."
- "After a year and half in my Vanagon, I decided to make the jump to a more reliable setup and bought a Toyota pick-up. Although i miss the 80s charm of my VW, the reliability of my camper has given me a new lease on life."
- Want to see more? Check out Huntington's Kickstarter project, Home Is Where You Park It.
- Start over
What You Missed
Our most important headlines, sent to you every Saturday.