- Runners descend a steep and windy dirt road in the Copper Canyon Ultra Marathon.
- Maria Juliana leads a group of Tarahumara Indians on a trail run outside the town of Urique.
- Caballo Blanco (Micah True) crosses the river during the first leg of the Copper Canyon Ultra Marathon.
- Tarahumara run the 51-mile ultra marathon in huaraches, sandals made of tire tread and leather straps.
- A Tarahumara wearing traditional clothing runs along the road.
- Foreign runners rest their legs after the punishing 51-mile race.
- A panoramic view of the Copper Canyon from Bahuichivo, Mexico.
- A group scouts the course two days before the race.
- A Tarahumara runner rests after the race.
- An Urique resident watches the race.
- Start over
Open a World of Adventure
Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.