- What do you get when you combine six eye surgeons, thirteen runners, six educators, two nonprofits, 871 cataract patients, 63,000 students, two of the fastest men on the planet, and one trail race in the remote highlands of East Africa? Outside editor Christopher Keyes travels to Ethiopia to find out.
- Runners gather to register to participate in the Accelerate Ethiopia trail race held in Gheralta on March 2, 2013.
- Alem Kahsay, Race Director of Accererate Ethiopia, checks his GPS coordinates as he charts the course for a trail race. Kahsay, a native of Tigray, is a field manager for the New York Road Runners Foundation, and lives in New York.
- Gebregziabher Gebremariam, winner of 2010 New York City Marathon, makes his opening remarks at before the Accererate Ethiopia trail race. Gebremariam is also from the Tigray region.
- Scott Jurek, Ultramarathon champion, approaches the finish line with local children in Gheralta, Tigray region.
- Haile Gabrselassie, far left, Ethiopia's long-distance running legend, joins the participants of Accererate Ethiopia for a training run at Yaya Village, an athletic center co-owned by Gabselassie outside Ethiopia's capital Addis Ababa.
- Early morning in Gheralta Mountain Range.
- Patients find every available space to spend a night after their eye surgeries performed during the Eye Camp held by Himalayan Cataract Project at Quiha Zonal Hospital.
- A boy suffering from cataract waits for a surgery during the Eye Camp held by Himalayan Cataract Project at Quiha Zonal Hospital in Mekele, Ethiopia.
- Scott Jurek, American ultramarathoner, asks a women how many fingers he is holding during the post operation exams, removing the bandages of patients who received eye surgeries the day before at the Eye Camp held by Himalayan Cataract Project at Quiha Zonal Hospital.
- Patients express their joy after regaining their eyesight with Dr. Matt Oliva during the post operation exams at the Eye Camp held by Himalayan Cataract Project at Quiha Zonal Hospital in Mekele.
- A woman who received eye surgeries on both of her eyes express her joy after regaining her eyesight with Dr. Geoffrey Tabin, co-founder of Himalayan Cataract Project.
- Majka Burhardt , Accelerate Ethiopia Producer, and Eric Poole of Ashland, Oregon, remove the bandages of patients who received eye surgeries the day before at the Eye Camp.
Outside editor Christopher Keyes travels to Ethiopia to report on the future of adventure philanthropy.
- Start over
What You Missed
Our most important headlines, sent to you every weekday.