Lake Wanaka, Extreme DayAthletes get ready to take off from the Minaret Station barge on Lake Wanaka for the Extreme Day.
Mt. AlbertShuttling out to Mt. Albert, a new venue for the competition, for the Freestyle Day.
- Frasor McDougall (NZ) a contender for World Heli champion, on the Freestyle Day.
Luke Potts, World Heli Challenge 2011Skier Luke Potts (GBR), mid-air, on the Freestyle Day of the World Heli Challenge.
Luke Potts, World Heli Challenge 2011Potts pulls off a flip on the Freestyle Day.
- Extreme Day: The goal is to find an athlete that rides hard, fast, in control and utilizes the features of the mountain.
- Ted Davenport, two-time World Heli champion, takes a harsh ridge on Mt. Albert on the Extreme Day.
- Davenport failed to make his landing and destroyed his ski. He later injured himself.
- Competitors in the 2011 World Heli Challenge wave to the pilot ferrying them between the barge and the mountains.
- Start over
Open a World of Adventure
Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.