- Peter Metcalf, the CEO of Black Diamond, hangs off the forging equipment.
- A worker moves large sheets of steel to be cut.
- The laser used to slice out cramp-ons.
- A worker makes carabiners on a cold forge machine.
- Unfinished carabiners sit next to a grinding machine, where they will be de-burred.
- Carabiners get a cleaner look in the "tumble and polish" machine.
- A worker pulls product out of the "tumble and polish" machine.
- Carabiners come off the hot forge line.
- The finished product.
- Chris Grove, BD's "minister of culture", hangs near a doorway to the warehouse.
- Bill Belcourt, the director of climbing product, sits above the factory floor with an ice axe.
- Newly minted ice screws.
- The design team headed by David Mellon, the vp of product development, talks about a new boot.
- The "Factor" boot gets put to the test in the "Rosenflexor" machine.
- Black Diamond demo skis wait for employees to take them out.
- Start over
Open a World of Adventure
Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.