- "My granddad was a tradesman. Master plumber, master carpenter. Built the house I was born in. An electrician. All of them. My dad was his apprentice, essentially."
- "Between the two of them, they would fix anything in the neighborhood. They would wake up clean and come home dirty, and some problem had been solved."
- "But I missed that gene. So by the time I got old enough to think about how I was going to make a living, I decided to go as far from that as I could. Deliberately. That's how I ended up getting in the opera."
- "When I left QVC, I called the Discovery Channel directly, because I'd always wanted to work for them I thought it would be really fun to have somebody send me around the world to do cool stuff. That's what I've been trying to get them to do since 1993."
- "So I pitched them on this (Dirty Jobs). They were like, 'Eh, it's a talk show in a sewer.' But we got it on the air, and people watched."
- Start over
Open a World of Adventure
Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.