- Tourists relax in the geothermal waters of the Blue Lagoon, the closest thing to Disneyland in Iceland.
- With harsh weather common, plastic flowers adorn Greenland's graveyards.
- A native Kuluskian entertains tourists with authentic folk tales and singing.
- A lonely gas pump between the Kulusuk airport and the town of Kulusuk, population 310, in the Greenland countryside.
- Ed Tower takes a break from a seal hunt off the Greenland coast to climb an island outcrop.
- The author, his father, and their guide, keep a lookout for seals.
- Ed and Wells Tower search in different direction for seals.
- The guide keeps his rifle at the ready in case a seal is spotted.
- Cathedral icebergs tower over the boat near the Greenland coast.
- Traditional earthen housing, common until just after World War II, on the island of Heimaey, Iceland.
- A sculpture on the island of Heimaey reminds residents to listen to the sea.
- The town of Vestmannaeyjar, on the island of Heimaey, population 4500, where snow now rarely falls.
- Start over
Vote for America's Best Town! →
What You Missed
Our most important headlines, sent to you every Saturday.