- The group fishing for King Salmon on one of the rivers around Bella Coola.
- Heavy rains and spring melt made for high water, and bad fishing, in between ski outings.
- Nick Paumgarten, Sr. trying to reel in a King Salmon dinner.
- Walking the plank over a small Bella Coola River tributary.
- The smaller AStar helicopters used by Bella Coola Heli Sports are more agile in the high country than those of some other heli ski outfits.
- Dwarfed by a Coast Mountain glacier.
- Getting ready to carve corn as the AStar helicopter lifts off.
- Crevasses are a danger on the glaciers around Bella Coola.
- Contemplating 1.5 million acres of skiable terrain in the Coast Mountains.
- The view from the top, during a rare break in the weather.
- Dropping in on King Richard, a 3,500-foot descent. Shortly after, Nick Sr. lost a ski and spilled to the bottom, without injury.
- With limited heli operators in the Bella Coola area, and almost unlimited terrain, skiers are free to ski whatever line they wish.
- Start over
Open a World of Adventure
Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.