- Facing the enemyA soldier reviews wanted posters for Abu Sayyaf guerillas.
- Armed patrolFully-armed military escorts are needed throughout Jolo Island to protect against rebel attacks.
- Hearts and MindsThe U.S. and Philippine Army are attempting to win the loyalties of the local villagers through humanitarian missions.
- Peril in paradiseA soldier in a Jolo village.
- General Juancho Sabban, the leader of the Philippine efforts to root out Abu Sayyaf guerillas on Jolo Island
- Soldiers entering a village.
- Alert for attacks in a Jolo town
- Philippine soldiers have been trained by U.S. Green Berets, but often must rely on military hand-me-downs and decades-old equipment.
- A soldier wears a mask to protect his face from Jolo's dusty roads.
- Public transportation, Jolo style.
- Author John Falk, on assignment.
- Start over
Escape your daily grind with Outside’s best getaways.