- Tilting pines filter the evening sunlight at Yosemite Valley‚Äôs Awahnee boulders as Wes Walker, 25, contemplates the final move on ‚ÄòSilly Roof‚Äô (V8).
- With the help of an old toothbrush, a buildup of chalk left behind from hundreds of climber's hands is brushed clean from a well-worn hold on 'What's next' (V3) at Yosemite's Cathedral boulders.
- British climber, Peter Wright, 22, takes a break on top of one of the Awahnee boulders as Wes Walker pulls through the roof of 'Beached Whale' (V6).
- Covered in chalk for better grip, Wes Walker's weather-beaten hands cling to dime-sized edges on 'The Bogart Traverse' (V5) at Cathedral boulders.
- Looking down over Yosemite Valley, Wes Walker stands at the beginning of the slabs approach to the base of Half Domea 1.5 mile scramble that gains 3,000-feet in elevation.
- Dutch climber Miriam Knepper negotiates the switchbacks near the top of the slabs approach.
- An alpine glow radiates from the Northwest Face of Half Dome as the sun moves behind Yosemite's 7,569-foot tall El Capitain.
- Wes Walker organizing the gear he will use on the first pitch.
- Wes Walker consulting the route map at the top of pitch 3.
- Wes Walker bringing haul bags up to the belay.
- Sunset in Yosemite Valley.
- Start over
Open a World of Adventure
Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.