- Nichenthraw Mountain reflecting on an unnamed lake near the East Fork of the Chandalar River. Cotton grass blooms on the beach in the foreground.
- A polar bear takes an early-fall swim in Bernard Harbor.
- Long-tailed ducks flying over Beaufort Lagoon.
- Arctic ground squirrel with rock lichens in the foreground.
- Two fog systems collide over the Hulahula River.
- An arctic fox in its white winter coat on Barter Island.
- A buff-breasted sandpiper giving its courtship display. This species migrates from Argentina to the Arctic Refuge to nest and would be one of the five most-threatened bird species if oil development proceeds in the coastal plain, according to the Audubon Alaska WatchList.
- Icy Reef, a barrier Island along the coast of the Arctic Refuge and premier nesting spot for numerous migratory bird species. On the right is the arctic coast, and on the left is a coastal lagoon.
- Snow geese over the coastal plain.
- Musk ox herd on the Canning River delta.
- In the Kongakut River valley a fledgling gyrfalcon chick flexes its wings before attempting to fly.
- Dall sheep rams along the Hulahula River valley in the Romanzof Mountains of the Brooks Range.
- The braided Hulahula River meets the arctic coast.
- Aurora borealis over the Hulahula River valley.
- Start over
Open a World of Adventure
Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.