- A foggy ascent on Jiajan Shan.
- Valleys and gorges define much of the western Sichuan landscape.
- Throwing prayers into the sky.
- Laurence, Ed, and Dean cross a small stream while ascending Dagu Shan.
- Men take their horses up Dagu Shan.
- Tibetans throw prayer flags at each mountain pass into the air, believing that at higher altitude they are closer to the gods.
- A Tibetan hair dress made out of coral and beads.
- Young and old gather on a mountainside.
- The caravan makes its way towards the Guoxigou Grasslands.
- The grasslands are swampy, muddy, and hard to cross.
- The grasslands were home to one of the nicest campsites of the trek.
- The horse crew eats dinner in their tent.
- A Tibetan woman heads out in the field to collect a type of Chinese medicine. She wears a mask to keep humidity near her mouth, as the dry, high-altitude air can dehydrate a body quickly.
- Ed, Yang Xio, and Laurence wait out a rainstorm in a herder's mud hut.
- Start over
Vote for America's Best Town! →
What You Missed
Our most important headlines, sent to you every Saturday.