- Aspen, Colorado, snowboard coach Mitch Stout tests a board under the old Aspen Silver Queen gondola.
- X-Games announcer and local personality Othello Clark in mid back flip. Clark would use the landscaped drop-offs of the ski-lift huts as launching pads.
- Stylist Jill Roth (second from right), Carol Cohen (left), and Outside deputy art director, Lisa Thé (third from right) run models Josh and Dave through a fitting the night before the shoot in Aspen. The six-page style section in the November issue required roughly four truckloads of clothing and equipmentenough to fill a suite at the Sky Hotel.
- Models George and Kate at their fitting. The models were up at 5:00 a.m. what most climbers—whether they are climber/models or not—appreciate as an "alpine start." If you think it's tough to summit a mountain at dawn, try looking your prettiest at the same early hour.
- Photographer Jeff Lipsky and model Kate. Lipsky, an ex-pro snowboarder and Telluride fly-fishing guide, has shot for Esquire, Vogue, and, most-spectacularly, Outside.
- Photographer Jeff Lipsky susses his background at the top of the Ajax gondola at 6:30 a.m. During Outside's week in Aspen, the skies cleared for only one morning, just enough time to get the shoot done.
- Stylist Jill Roth makes last-minute adjustments to Kate' s outfit. This year's style section focused on the coming trend of performance couture: skiwear inspired by New York and Paris, but using the most advanced technical fabrics.
- Stylist Jill Roth makes last-minute adjustments to Kate Lillecrap's outfit. This year's style section focused on the coming trend of performance couture: skiwear inspired by New York and Paris, but using the most advanced technical fabrics.
- Kate on set.
- Start over
Vote for America's Best Town! →
Open a World of Adventure
Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.