- In the May issue of Outside, Patrick Symmes travels to the new nation of South Sudan to document a country trying to build itself from scratch. Captured here are some moments of great natural beauty and progress.
Above, children from the Mundari tribe guard Watusi cattle in a camp on the road thirty-eight kilometers North of Juba.
- A South Sudanese villager collects water on the Nile river bank to sell it in downtown Juba.
- Rare Nile lechwe frolic across the Sudd wetlands.
- Dr. Cirinio Hiteng Ofuho, Minister of Culture, Youth and Sports of the Republic of South Sudan sits in his office.
- Mundari cattlemen take a break with their livestock.
- EU commissioner Sven Kuhn von Burgsdorff, Head of the European Union delegation to the Republic of South Sudan and one of his porters rest on Mount Kinyeti. As commissioner, von Burgsdorff is tasked with managing Sudan's $395 million of European aid.
- A herd of Sudan's imperiled elephants.
- Mundari herders on the road near Juba.
Read the full article Born on the 9th of July.
- Start over