- Shawn Dollar (above) took home two awards for his record paddle of a 61-foot wave at Cortes Bay at the 2013 Billabong XXL Global Big Wave Awards. Other surfers recognized for their big-wave accomplishments included Shane Dorian, Chris Shanahan, Greg Long, and Keala Kennelly. Here's a look at their winning rides—plus a controversial 100-footer that Garrett McNamara chose not to submit for consideration.
- Shane Dorian (Kona, Hawaii) won both the Pacifico Tube and Ride of the Year categories of the 2013 Billabong XXL Big Wave Awards with this wave at Jaws, Maui, Hawaii.
- Shawn Dollar (Santa Cruz, CA) won both the Pacifico Paddle and XXL Biggest Wave divisions of the 2013 Billabong XXL Big Wave Awards with this wave at the Cortes Bank.
- Chris Shanahan (Denmark, Aus.) took Wipeout of the Year in the Billabong XXL Global Big Wave Awards for this mad leap at The Right in Western Australia.
- Greg Long (San Clemente, California) won the Surfline Best Overall Performance title at the 2013 Billabong XXL Big Wave Awards. This ride was at Jaws, Hawaii, last October.
- Keala Kennelly (Kauai, Hawaii) won the Billabong Girls Best Performance award at the Billabong XXL Big Wave Awards. "It was an incredible year and some crazy big wave surfing went down so it's nice to be recognized," she said.
- Garrett McNamara (Haleiwa, Hawaii) caught what was initially reported as a 100-foot wave off the coast of Nazaré, Portugal, in January 2013. But he chose not to enter the Billabong XXL Big-Wave Awards, saying, "I don't ride for Billabong." He also took issue with the Pacifico beer company sponsoring the awards. "The beer is really what I'm standing against 'cause I wouldn't want to influence one kid to drink."
McNamara was involved in Greg Long's three-wave hold-down this winter that almost killed him. Some faulted the jet-powered board McNamara was riding.
- Start over