- The sacrifices in terms of stuff and living sort of a lavish early-20s lifestyle are huge.
- You give up most of your social life. You give up any kind of luxury as far as having money to spend doing a lot of things.
- I don't even really have an apartment. I have a family out here that kind of took me in like three years ago. I call them my California parents.
- But the rewards on the other end, as far as the places I've been and the people I've met, are incredible.
- It was a choice that I made. I can be a real adult later in life and sit in an office, if that's what I decide to do.
- Start over
Vote for America's Best Town! →
Open a World of Adventure
Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.