• Very warm.
• Best next to skin comfort.
• More casual, less technical look.
• Good weather protection with glossy exterior and DWR treatment.
• Great price.
• Nearly twice as heavy as other jackets in this category.
• Not very packable, too bulky.
• Slick-looking exterior will not appeal to everyone.
• Less fitted style doesn't work as well as a mid-layer.
We found the Full Zip Jacket worked best around town as an outer layer in cool weather. Despite its slimish profile this jacket packs a surprising amount of warmth, but it’s not nearly as light as a down sweater, and felt more “urban” than “expedition.” The design is not as conducive to layering under an outer shell, or for packing when weight and bulk is a concern.
Read the full review at Gear Institute, a network of the best outdoor gear testers in America, dedicated to providing the most professional, objective, and helpful advice you can get about the gear you depend on.