Because nothing takes the edge off like making a fool of yourself. The trick is an outfit that lets you finish with a time you can live with. Crested Butte, Colorado, mayor Alan Bernoltz has entered ski races as a sumo wrestler, a trash can, and (his personal fave) Evel Knievel, among other things, for going on 20 years. His advice:
(1) How much are you willing to suffer? If the answer's "not much," just wear a cape or a FUNNY HAT.
(2) Avoid face paint. It will sweat off and BLIND YOU.
(3) Will the wind shift your balance? DITCH THE WINGS.
(4) Cotton doesn't keep you warm in STORMS. Incorporate performance fabrics.
(5) Make sure you have full range of MOTION. And visibility.
(6) Test everything BEFORE the race.
(7) When you're dressed like a cartoon character, it just makes the people you pass go that much HARDER. Remember this.