Woman Exposed to Flesh-Eating Bacteria During Mud Run

Loses vision in one eye

Jun 24, 2015
Outside Magazine
16 maart 2013

Necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating bacteria, rendered a mud run participant blind in one eye.    Tjeerd Booij/Flickr

A Dallas woman was exposed to flesh eating bacterial infection during a mud run event earlier this month, the New York Daily News reported Wednesday. 

The bacterial infection, necrotizing fasciitis, rendered Brittany Williams blind in one eye. Since she’s uninsured, Williams says she’s on the hook for more than $100,000 in medical bills.

The Daily News points out this isn’t the first time a participant has gotten sick from an obstacle course race. A Nevada race in 2012 caused more than 20 participants to become ill after likely swallowing contaminated water.

UPDATE: June 29, 11:30 MST: An earlier version of this article stated that necrotizing fasciitis was a specific bacteria. It is a bacterial infection.

Not Now

Open a World of Adventure

Our Dispatch email delivers the stories you can’t afford to miss.

Thank you!