Wednesday, March 27, 2013
OUTSIDE MAGAZINE $10,000 ADVENTURE GRANT
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THE FOLLOWING GRANT PROGRAM IS INTENDED FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (“D.C.”) ONLY AND SHALL ONLY BE CONSTRUED AND EVALUATED ACCORDING TO UNITED STATES LAW. VOID OUTSIDE OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES AND D.C. DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST IF YOU ARE NOT LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME OF ENTRY.
1. ELIGIBILITY. The Outside Magazine $10,000 Adventure Grant Program (“Program”) is open to all legal United States and D.C. residents who are at least twenty-one (21) years old at time of entry, except employees of Mariah Media Inc. (“Sponsor”), its parent company or affiliated companies, subsidiaries, retailers, dealers, sales representatives, distributors, advertising agencies, promotional and Grant suppliers and the immediate families and household members of each. Void where prohibited.
2. HOW TO ENTER: Beginning at 12:00:01 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (“EDT”) on April 1, 2013 through 11:59:59 p.m. EDT on June 1, 2013 (“Application Period”), visit www.outsideonline.com/adventuregrant and follow the on-screen instructions to submit your grant application (“Application”) into the Program. You will need to submit the following 1.) A project title of 140 characters or less; in English, that sells Sponsor on your adventure project (“Project”) (could be adventure, travel, or research project), 2.) A description of your adventure project team members, 3.) A description of your adventure project in 500 words or less, in English, that clearly and concisely explains what you intend to do with the $10,000 grant, should you win, 4.) A link to a video (Vimeo or YouTube) of up to two (2) minutes that makes your case for why you should receive the $10,000 grant to fund your adventure project (“Video”), 5.) A breakdown of your estimated budget for your adventure project (not to exceed $10,000), and 6.) A photo of the team leader (must be Applicant) of your adventure project (collectively “Application”). Applications must be received by 11:59:59 p.m. EDT on June 1, 2013. No other attempted method of entry will be accepted; entries may not be mailed. LIMIT ONE (1) APPLICATION PER PERSON/HOUSEHOLD/EMAIL ADDRESS. Any identifiable person appearing in the Application will be required to execute a liability/publicity release. If he/she is a minor in his/her state of residence, minor’s parent or legal guardian must execute the liability/publicity release on minor’s behalf. Failure to submit an executed by any identifiable person appearing in the Video to execute the liability/publicity release may result in the disqualification of the Application. Only the Applicant is entitled to the Grant. Submission of an Application is subject to, and all applicants must comply with, all policies, terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules. Proof of submission does not constitute proof of receipt.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST USE CAUTION AND COMMON SENSE IN CREATING THEIR APPLICATIONS. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS PROGRAM, APPLICANTS ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT NEITHER SPONSOR, SUBSIDIARIES, DISTRIBUTORS, SUPPLIERS, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND ALL OTHER SERVICE AGENCIES INVOLVED WITH THE DESIGN, EXECUTION, OR FULFILLMENT OF THIS PROGRAM, NOR THEIR RESPECTIVE SHAREHOLDERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES OR AGENCIES (COLLECTIVELY “RELEASED PARTIES”) WILL HAVE ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO BODILY INJURY OR DEATH, CAUSED BY OR IN CONNECTION WITH PARTICIPATION IN THIS PROGRAM OR USE OF THE GRANT. APPLICATIONS POSTED WERE NOT EDITED BY SPONSOR AND ARE THE VIEWS/OPINIONS OF THE INDIVIDUAL APPLICANT AND DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF THE SPONSOR IN ANY MANNER.
Application must be submitted by an individual, eligible Applicant only; no group Applications allowed. Only the Applicant that submitted the Application is eligible to receive the Grant. Application must conform to the following Application Requirements:
- Application cannot be sexually explicit or suggestive, violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, profane or pornographic, contain nudity or any materially dangerous activity;
- Application cannot promote illegal drugs or firearms (or the use of any of the foregoing), or any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message (in the sole opinion of the Sponsor);
- Application cannot be obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group;
- Application cannot defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about Sponsor or its products, or other people, products or companies;
- Application may not include any intellectual property of third parties, including copyrighted material (including but not limited to music) or third-party trademarks (except as provided herein);
- Application cannot contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, photographs, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, without permission;
- Application cannot communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate; and
- Application cannot depict, and cannot itself, be in violation of any law.
Application must be suitable for broadcast at Sponsor’s sole discretion. By submitting an Application, Applicant warrants and represents that such Application is his/her original creation (a modification of an existing work does not qualify as original), Applicant is the sole copyright owner of the Application, that the Application is true and verifiable, that the Application has not been previously broadcast, submitted to or entered in any competition or won any awards, and that his/her Application does not violate any law, regulation or any right of any third-party, including, without limitation, the publicity, intellectual property or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or proprietary right. If the Application contains any material or elements that are not owned by the Applicant, and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the Applicant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the Application, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the use and exhibition of the Application by Sponsor in the manner set forth in these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to request proof of these permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsor from any Applicant at any time. Failure to provide such proof may, if requested, render Application null and void. By submitting an Application, Applicant warrants and represents that he/she consents to the submission and use of the Application in the Program and to its use as otherwise set forth herein. By submitting an Application, Applicant acknowledges and agrees that Sponsor may obtain many submissions under this Program and that such Applications may be similar or identical in theme, idea, format or other respects to others submitted under this Program and/or other contests staged and/or sponsored by the Sponsor, or to other ideas conceived by or provided to Sponsor and Applicant waives any and all claims Applicant may have had, may have, and/or may have in the future, that any Application and/or other works accepted, reviewed and/or used by the Sponsor (or their designees) may be similar to his/her Application.
Except where prohibited by law, each Applicant acknowledges and agrees that the Sponsor does not have now, nor shall it have in the future, any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of any copyright in and to Applicant’s Application. Entrant agrees that Application may be posted on http://www.outsideonline.com, http://www.facebook.com/outsidemagazine or other Sponsor websites if selected as a Finalist Application or Grant recipient (“Grant Recipient”). Grant Recipient will be disclosed in Grant Recipient list and Released Parties are not liable for any misuse of such Grant Recipient’s list by third parties. Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Applications by third parties. Released Parties do not guarantee the posting of any Application. Applicants agree that they will not use the Application for any other purpose, including, without limitation, posting the Application to any online social networks, without the express consent of the Sponsor in each instance. Any Application that does not comply with these requirements, in the opinion of the judges or the Sponsor, may be disqualified. By submitting an Application, Applicant agrees that his/her submission is gratuitous and made without restriction, and will not place Sponsor under any obligation; that Sponsor is free to disclose the ideas contained in the Application on a non-confidential basis to anyone or otherwise use the ideas without any additional compensation to Applicant. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual (and his or her Application) who tampers with the application process.
4. PHASE I JUDGING: From April 2, 2013 through June 16, 2013, Applications will be judged by a panel of judges appointed by Sponsor based on the following criteria: (i) creativity/originality (33%); (ii) ambition (33%), and (iii) feasibility of the adventure project and effectiveness in communicating feasibility in your Application (34%). The five (5) applications with the highest score will be selected as finalists (“Finalists”). In the event of a tie by the judges, the applications involved in the tie will be re-judged by an additional judge who will serve as a tiebreaker and who will evaluate tied entries according to the criteria listed above. The decisions of the judges will be final and binding on all matters relating to the Program. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to select fewer than five (5) Finalists if it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified applications.
5. ONLINE VOTING: From 12:00:01am EDT on June 18, 2013 through 11:59:59pm EDT on June 28, 2013 (the “Voting Period”), the five (5) Finalists will be posted on http://www.outsideonline.com, where viewers will be asked to vote for their favorite Finalist based on the following criteria: (i) creativity/originality (33%); (ii) ambition (33%), and (iii) feasibility of the adventure project and effectiveness in communicating said feasibility (34%).Voters must be eighteen (18) years of age or older. Limit one (1) vote (“Vote”) per person/email address per day during the Voting Period. Automated methods of voting are prohibited. Any attempt by Finalist/Applicant and/or his/her family/friends to cast more than one (1) Vote per day using multiple names or email addresses and/or any other fraudulent mechanism (including hiring third parties to vote for the Applicant), as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, shall give Sponsor the right to disqualify Finalist/Applicant in its reasonable discretion. The Finalist receiving the highest number of eligible, non-suspect, votes (based on public votes) will be deemed the potential Grant Recipient, subject to confirmation of his/her eligibility. In the event of a tie, a new judging period determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion will determine the Grant Recipient.
6. GRANT. One (1) Grant Recipient will receive $10,000 awarded in the form of a check, intended to be used for the adventure project described in Grant Recipient’s Application (“Grant”). Grant Recipient must agree to produce/provide digital media documenting their adventure project and Sponsor reserves the right but is under no obligation to send a writer and/or photographer along with the Grant Recipient to document the Grant Recipient’s adventure project and will hold exclusive right of first refusal to any media that Grant Recipient’s adventure project generates [digital, tablet, magazine, or social content]. Under no circumstance will the Grant exceed $10,000 and Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any expenses incurred by the Grant Recipient in excess of $10,000. Approximate retail value: $10,000.00. Grant is non-transferable and no substitution will be made. All other expenses on the Grant Recipient and use of the Grant not specifically mentioned herein are solely the responsibility of the Grant Recipient. Grant Recipient is subject to verification, including verification of age.
7. FINALIST/GRANT RECIPIENT NOTIFICATIONS/GRANT RESTRICTIONS. Potential Finalists will be notified on or about June 5, 2012 by overnight delivery and/or telephone or email, in Sponsor’s sole discretion and must execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability/publicity release, a hazardous event liability release, and any other releases required by Sponsor and where not prohibited by applicable law, within ten (10) days of date of issuance specified in the notice. Additionally, any identifiable person appearing in the Application will be required to execute a liability/publicity release. If he/she is a minor in his/her state of residence, minor’s parent or legal guardian must execute the liability/publicity release on minor’s behalf. Failure to return the documents listed above within the specified time period, the return of a notification as undeliverable, noncompliance with these Official Rules, or Sponsor’s inability to contact the potential Finalists within a reasonable time period may result in forfeiture of Finalist status and the Application receiving the next highest score during Phase I Judging will be deemed the potential Finalist. Potential Grant Recipient will be notified on or about July 1, 2013 by overnight delivery and/or telephone or email, in Sponsor’s sole discretion and must execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability/publicity release, and any other releases required by Sponsor and where not prohibited by applicable law, within fourteen (14) days of date of issuance specified in the notice. Failure to return the documents listed above within the specified time period, the return of a notification as undeliverable, noncompliance with these Official Rules, or Sponsor’s inability to contact the potential Grant Recipient within a reasonable time period may result in forfeiture of Grant and the Finalist receiving the next highest number of eligible, non-suspect, votes (combination of public and judges’ votes) will be deemed the potential Grant Recipient. Grant Recipient is responsible for all federal, state and local taxes and any other costs, expenses and fees associated with the Grant, if any. A Grant Recipient’s entry and acceptance of a Grant constitutes permission for the Sponsor to use his/her name, photograph, likeness, statements, voice and address (city and state) on a worldwide basis, and in all forms of media, in perpetuity, without notice or further compensation except where prohibited by law. All Applications become property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Grant recipient warrants and represents that he/she will use the Grant solely in furtherance of the Project.
All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Applicant and Sponsor in connection with the Program, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New Mexico without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of New Mexico or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New Mexico.
9. LIMITATION ON LIABILITY. As a condition of entering, Applicants agree (and agree to confirm in writing): (a) to release Released Parties from any and all liability, loss or damage incurred with respect to awarding, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any Grant; (b) under no circumstance will Applicant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Program, or any Grant awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorney’s fees and court costs. By accepting a Grant, Grant Recipient agrees that Released Parties will not be held responsible for any system damage, loss of property, accidents, injuries, or death that may occur in the receipt, awarding, use or possession of Grant and/or participation in any Grant related activity, including any travel or activities related thereto. Grant Recipient acknowledges that Sponsor has not made nor is in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any Grant, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Any and all warranties and/or guarantees on a Grant (if any) are subject to the respective manufacturers’ terms therefore, and Grant Recipient agrees to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty and/or guarantee. By participating in this Program, Applicants and Grant Recipient agree to be bound by these Official Rules, the decisions of Sponsor and any applicable federal, state or local laws and regulations.
10. LICENSE/USE OF APPLICATIONS: By submitting an Application, each Applicant hereby grants to Sponsor a royalty free and fully paid up, irrevocable, worldwide perpetual license to edit, publish, use, adapt, exploit, and modify any Application (and all elements embodied therein), including, without limitation the images, names, likenesses of any persons or locations embodied therein, online, in print, film, television, or in any other media now known or hereafter devised, without compensation, notification or permission from Applicant or any third party and display the Application on Sponsor’s websites at http://www.outsideonline.com, www.facebook.com/outsidemagazine and third party websites and otherwise use the Application in accordance with these Official Rules, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised.
11. WINNER’S NAME: To obtain a copy of the Grant Recipient’s name, send a SASE to Outside Magazine Adventure Grant Grant Recipient, 444 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 520, Chicago, IL 60611 by 10/25/13. Grant Recipient’s name will be sent when Grant Recipient has been verified and Grant has been awarded.
Sponsor/Administrator: Mariah Media Inc., 400 Market St., Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501