1. On race day, go fast and easy with Zoot Sports' do-it-all ULTRA Racesuit ($175; zootsports.com).
2. Blue Seventy's Vision goggles ($20; blueseventy.com) give you wide-angle lenses for open water.
3. Speed laces and a sock-free design mean a quick entry to the Zoot Ultra Race ($130).
4. Orca's Apex 2 wetsuit ($550; orca.com) offers superior buoyancy and silicone forearm swatches to boost troke efficiency.
5. The polarized Positive Red lens on Oakley's Radar ($255; oakley.com) cuts glare and repels sweat.
6. Northwave's Tribal cycling shoe ($170; northwave.com) delivers easy access with Velcro on the top strap to hold the upper open during transitions.
7. The Orca 226 Tri Pant ($70) has more padding than most tri shorts but dries fast and doesn't chafe.
8. Suunto's t3C heart-rate monitor ($190; suunto.com) works equally well for numbers geeks and beginners.