Hantavirus Kills Second Yosemite Visitor

Fourth person infected

Dead Rat

Dead Rat     Photo: Charles Haynes/Flickr

A second person has died this summer from the rodent-borne Hantavirus after camping at Yosemite National Park. The virus, which is spread by exposure to rodent droppings and urine, has flu-like symptoms and has sickened a total of four visitors to Yosemite’s Curry Village Campground this summer. Two of the four cases have been fatal. "The health of our visitors is our paramount concern and we are making every effort to notify and inform our visitors of any potential illness," park superintendent Don Neubacher said in a statement. "We are encouraging anyone who stayed in Curry Village since June to be aware of the symptoms of hantavirus and seek medical attention at the first sign of illness."

Via ABC

Comments