April 19, 2013

    Photo: Mario Lopes via Shutterstock

Tourist Held for Pocketing Beach Stones

Claimed as artifacts in Turkey

A Mississippi man collected two fragments of rock from a beach while vacationing with his wife in Turkey. He packed them in his luggage for the trip home on Sunday but didn't make it past the airport security line. He is now being detained in the country and faces up to 12 years in prison for attempting to smuggle historical artifacts. 

Jason Dement says that he and his wife collect rocks or sand from every country they visit, and had no idea these could have been artifacts. A museum conducted an investigation of the stones, one a triangular piece of rough marble and the other a long brick-colored piece, and confirmed that they are artifacts, possibly from the Roman Era, according to a blog Dement has created.

Dement wrote in an update yesterday that while there could still be a monetary fine, it is less likely that he will be imprisoned.


    Photo: Wikipedia

BASE Jumper Flies Through Rock Arch

Reaches 155 mph

Professional wingsuit flyer and BASE jumper Alexander Polli took his stunts to a new level flying through a rock arch at speeds approaching 155 mph wearing only a wingsuit.

In a newly released video chronicling his flight, Polli jumps out of a helicopter, free-falls for around 20 seconds, and then threads his way through a narrow opening in a rock wall.

After sharing the footage on YouTube, Polli tweeted, "I live like this because I am aware I have only 1 life."

The Italian-Norwegian athlete says he hopes his success will inspire people to "climb over their mountains, but also to fly right through them." Polli became the first jumper to successfully strike a wingusit target in November 2012 and has previously flown through a waterfall and over his own mom, as detailed on his YouTube page.

The 27-year-old self-proclaimed "body flight professional" said he got the idea for the stunt while hiking with friends. 


    Photo: Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Surfer Rescued After 27 Hours At Sea

Fell overboard on surfing trip

South African surfer Brett Archibald was found by rescue crews on Wednesday after drifting unaided in the ocean for 27 hours. Archibald was travelling on a boat from from Padang, Indonesia, to the Mentawai Islands on a surf trip when he got seasick in the middle of the night and fell overboard. No one realized that he was missing until he failed to show up for breakfast the next morning

A Sydney-owned ship eventually found him, floating on his back 12 miles from the Mentawai Islands. “He said he came close to drowning at least eight times during his 27 hour ordeal and that he had been stung by jelly fish, picked at by fish and seagulls had tried to pluck his eyes out," said rescuer Craig Lambinon.

Archibald remembered little from his ordeal, only that he was feeling seasick in the early hours of the morning, passed out, and woke up at about 3:00 a.m. in the water with the boat miles away. "I don’t think I could have gone much beyond today, by the time night came I might have been cactus,” Archibald said. “I had to get my rhythm, I was treading water for five minutes, then I’d swim again. I saw land five times, but I could never get closer, the current pulled me away every time."


    Photo: eGuide Travel

1 Dead After Climbing Accident in Australia

One person still missing

One person drowned and one is unaccounted for after an accident on a sea cliff near Australia's Noosa National Park. Police received a call at about 2:30 local time on Friday that the pair, a woman and a man, were climbing a 160-foot cliff at Noosa Heads when they slipped and fell into the ocean.

Emergency crews retrieved the woman's drowned body that afternoon but couldn't find the second person. Speaking later that afternoon, Dan King of the AGL Rescue Helicopter Service told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that it was unclear that there actually was another victim.

"Initially we were told that there was a second person missing, which is why we spent quite a bit of time searching in that Granite Bay area, searching around low level," he said. "We stayed out there as long as we could until we needed to return to base to refuel."