There are histories written. There are races recounted. And there are tales of distant trails. While no single book can appeal to every reader, each of the following 10 books captures some unique aspect of the bicycle and the rider.
In addition to the obvious connection to bicycles, each book on this list presents its subject matter with passion and detail. These are books to be savored at the end of a long day’s tour or as fuel for the next coffee shop conversation involving bicycles. They are books that matter to people who love to ride.
- Bicycle: The History, David Herlihy
- The Dancing Chain: History and Development of the Derailleur Bicycle, Frank Berto
- Full Tilt: Ireland to India With a Bicycle, Dervla Murphy
- Ghost Trails, Jill Homer
- Joyride: Pedaling Toward a Healthier Planet, Mia Birk
- Major Taylor: The Extraordinary Career of a Champion Bicycle Racer, Andrew Ritchie
- Need for the Bike, Paul Fournel
- Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bike Repair, C. Calvin Jones
- Slaying the Badger: LeMond, Hinault and the Greatest Ever Tour de France, Richard Moore
- The Wonderful Ride, George T. Loher