The Grizzly Truth
AS TOLD TO JEFF HULL
1. Be Prepared
- Carry bear spray and know how to use it.
- Read up on bear behavior and bear food habits.
2. Prevent Surprise Bear Encounters When Hiking
- Hike in groups of three or more people.
- Make noise in areas with poor visibility.
- Be alert: See the bear before you surprise it.
3. Know How to React to a Surprise Encounter with a Bear Displaying Defensive Aggression
- During a close surprise encounter, slowly back away. Do not run.
- If the bear charges during a surprise encounter, stand your ground and use your bear spray.
- If the bear makes contact (attacks) during a surprise encounter, play dead by lying in a prone position with your hands covering the back of your neck.
4. Know How to React to a Curious or Predatory Bear Displaying Predatory Aggression