A:Well, Doug, first of all, let me say that you have a simply wonderful first name.
Now, about your question. There are two parts to it. The first is sort of a cloud-seeding question. You say that you have been using household bleach for water purification, and, so far as I can tell from your remarks, you have not become ill from waterborne pathogens or parasites. Correct? My own view is that the odds are good you simply avoided contaminated water. I take precautions (filtering), but Ive long felt that if you dont drink from pools of standing water or from streams through heavily camped-in areas, the risks are pretty low. In other words, maybe it would rain even if the cloud was NOT seeded, and maybe youd have been fine doing nothing. So its not easy for me to say, Yes, what youre doing is working just fine!"
The other question is this: Is bleach safe and effective? The answer: a qualified yes. Bleach added to water at a rate of two drops per quart is quite safe to drink. It probably doesnt smell or taste good, but that dissipates if the water is left standing for a while. But provided the treated water is shaken thoroughly and left standing for half an hour, most, if not all, bacteria and viruses will be killed. It isnt clear, however, that this works against protozoa such as giardia. And it definitely doesnt eliminate cryptosporidia. Also, you must take care that the water is clean, not turbid or otherwise visibly dirty.
So while you are taking steps to protect yourself, in my view youre also taking a bit of a risk. My own feeling is that if what youve been doing works for you, keeping doing it. But you might also benefit from a personal filter systema water bottle with a built-in filter. The Sawyer Water Filter Bottle ($55; sawyerproducts.com) is effective against microorganisms.
Check out the new 2007-2008 Winter Outside Buyers Guide, packed with reviews of more than 300 new gear must-haves. Its available on newsstands now.