Dispatches: News from the Field
With Kenya's national parks in shambles, two legends of wildlife conservation publicly lock horns.
PLUS: French sailing diva Isabelle Autissier loses her own race, why rotting whale carcasses might make for a really new-and-improved Tide, and more.
Field Notes: Strange bedfellows
From the sound of things, western North Carolina is attracting not only hikers and paddlers these days, but also conspiracy theorists, doomsayers, and assorted menacing nutjobs. Which is why things needed a look.
By Alex Heard
Out There: Getting up again
Flattened by back surgery, the karmic tit for tat for decades of immoderate adventuring, one intrepid yet hopeful sort contemplates life, death, and the (bleeping) moss-covered rock that landed him here.
By Tim Cahill
The Wild File
How many times can a stone skip? What's that smell when it rains? Why is yawning contagious?
Bodywork: Feets of strength
Perhaps it's no secret that the lowest extremities take the brunt of an athlete's abuse — or that we tend to ignore them until they start barking. Thankfully, whether the goal is to heal old injuries or prevent new missteps, a few simple strategies can help to keep your dogs faithful. PLUS: A step-by-step guide to choosing proper-fitting athletic shoes.
- Routines: A 20-minutes-or-less routine to power up your gams.
- Trends: Why fat tests get an F, no matter how you fare.
- Classics: How an old classic can propel you through a summer of carefree wave-riding.
Review: Summer's smartest athletic attire
Technical shorts, shirts, and outerwear that — mirabile visu — boast all the style and comfort of your regular workaday threads.
- Buying Right: Sport watches so complete that just telling time seems, well, too easy.
- The Other Stuff: A camp stove that'll burn any fuel you feed it, the new shoe that takes the slip 'n' slide out of your riverside scrambling, and CamelBak's clever new hydration system.
- Books: Cities of the Plain, the long-awaited final installment of Cormac McCarthy's border trilogy; Inside the Sky: A Meditation on Flight, by William Langewiesche; and more. Between the Lines
Active Traveler Directory