Here's the deal: As a general rule of thumb, it's not wise to mix combustion and the inside of a tent. Stoves and lanterns burning white gas or propane give off carbon monoxide, an odorless and tasteless gas that is a deadly, deadly, dangerous (did I say it was deadly?) gas. It'll kill you dead, man, without you noticing until you're gone. Then there's always the risk of fire.
Having said that, I have cooked inside a tentor at least a tent vestibuleon many, many occasions, when winter camping high up on Mount Rainier during a storm or climbing Denali. Any mountaineer will tell you the same thing: The key is ventilation. Vestibules make good places for a kitchen because they can be vented easily and any carbon monoxide trapped inside may stay in the vestibule rather than drifting into the tent. But, when cooking, one should always have at least two doors or windows partially unzippedideally, one low and one high so that warm air can rise out of the tent and pull in cold, fresh air from outside.
Prudence is the key. Keep plenty of fresh air in the tent and you should be OK. Remember, though, you didn't read it here.
Support Outside Online
Our mission to inspire readers to get outside has never been more critical. In recent years, Outside Online has reported on groundbreaking research linking time in nature to improved mental and physical health, and we’ve kept you informed about the unprecedented threats to America’s public lands. Our rigorous coverage helps spark important debates about wellness and travel and adventure, and it provides readers an accessible gateway to new outdoor passions. Time outside is essential—and we can help you make the most of it. Making a financial contribution to Outside Online only takes a few minutes and will ensure we can continue supplying the trailblazing, informative journalism that readers like you depend on. We hope you’ll support us. Thank you.