Adventure

Hotel Evacuated in Bear Spray Mishap

Maid hospitalized after can discharges

Officials evacuated 200 people from Salt Lake City's Marriot hotel earlier this week after a hotel maid accidently discharged a cannister of bear spray when she bumped into it with her cleaning cart. Bear spray, which is more effective in halting bear attacks than even firearms, is roughly ten times more potent than pepper spray. The maid was later hospitalized.

Read more at The Salt Lake Tribune

Our mission to inspire readers to get outside has never been more critical. In recent years, Outside Online has reported on groundbreaking research linking time in nature to improved mental and physical health, and we’ve kept you informed about the unprecedented threats to America’s public lands. Our rigorous coverage helps spark important debates about wellness and travel and adventure, and it provides readers an accessible gateway to new outdoor passions. Time outside is essential—and we can help you make the most of it. Making a financial contribution to Outside Online only takes a few minutes and will ensure we can continue supplying the trailblazing, informative journalism that readers like you depend on. We hope you’ll support us. Thank you.
Contribute to Outside
Filed To: News
More Adventure