Officials on Thursday announced the third hantavirus death of a visitor to Yosemite National Park. As many as 10,000 people may have been exposed to the rodent-borne disease after sleeping in the park's cabins this summer. There is no known cure for the hantavirus, which is spread through the feces, urine, and saliva of deer mice. The park concessionaire has sent out letters and emails to all guests who stayed in the Curry Village and High Sierra Camps. "We want to make sure that visitors have clear information about this rare virus and understand the importance of early medical care," Yosemite Superintendent Don Neubacher said. "We continue to work closely with state and national public health officials, and we urge visitors who may have been exposed to hantavirus to seek medical attention at the first sign of symptoms."
Via Bloomberg News
Support Outside Online
Our mission to inspire readers to get outside has never been more critical. In recent years, Outside Online has reported on groundbreaking research linking time in nature to improved mental and physical health, and we’ve kept you informed about the unprecedented threats to America’s public lands. Our rigorous coverage helps spark important debates about wellness and travel and adventure, and it provides readers an accessible gateway to new outdoor passions. Time outside is essential—and we can help you make the most of it. Making a financial contribution to Outside Online only takes a few minutes and will ensure we can continue supplying the trailblazing, informative journalism that readers like you depend on. We hope you’ll support us. Thank you.