Florida resident Edward Archbold, 32, died Friday night after ingesting a large volume of live cockroaches and worms in a contest at a local pet store. According to investigators, Archbold began to feel ill almost immediately after the contest and started regurgitating the roaches. He was taken to a Broward County hospital where he was pronounced dead. The exact cause of death has yet to be determined. Michael Adams, a professor of entomology at the University of Californa, told the Associated Press that he had never heard of someone dying after consuming cockroaches. "Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat." The contest was part of a “Midnight Madness” sale at Ben Siegel Reptile Store. Had Archbold survived the ordeal, he would have taken home a free ivory ball python.
Via The Smoking Gun
Support Outside Online
Our mission to inspire readers to get outside has never been more critical. In recent years, Outside Online has reported on groundbreaking research linking time in nature to improved mental and physical health, and we’ve kept you informed about the unprecedented threats to America’s public lands. Our rigorous coverage helps spark important debates about wellness and travel and adventure, and it provides readers an accessible gateway to new outdoor passions. Time outside is essential—and we can help you make the most of it. Making a financial contribution to Outside Online only takes a few minutes and will ensure we can continue supplying the trailblazing, informative journalism that readers like you depend on. We hope you’ll support us. Thank you.