Close banner

Support Outside Online

Love Outside?

Help fund our award-winning journalism with a contribution today.

Contribute to Outside

Family Falls Ill From Backyard Mushrooms

Foraging is awesome—if you do it right

A Connecticut family found themselves in the hospital after accidentally ingesting some deadly foraged mushrooms. Last Thursday, Shah Noor picked a handful of mushrooms from the backyard and used them to make dinner for her family. Unfortunately, it turned out that the fungi were a species known as the “destroying angel,” which can be deadly if ingested.

The entire family was in Hartford’s St. Francis Hospital the next day. A combined IV-solution treatment cured Noor, her husband, Musarat Ullah, and one of their daughters, but their other daughter, Wafa Guloona, suffered liver damage.

Ullah said that it was common to pick wild mushrooms in Pakistan, from which the family emigrated. "Expert mushroom hunters and even mycologists make mistakes because they fall back on assumptions and make mistakes in identification," said mycologist Robert Marra. "Stories are legion of famous mycologists who have succumbed because they make little mistakes in identification."

Via Connecticut Now

Support Outside Online

Our mission to inspire readers to get outside has never been more critical. In recent years, Outside Online has reported on groundbreaking research linking time in nature to improved mental and physical health, and we’ve kept you informed about the unprecedented threats to America’s public lands. Our rigorous coverage helps spark important debates about wellness and travel and adventure, and it provides readers an accessible gateway to new outdoor passions. Time outside is essential—and we can help you make the most of it. Making a financial contribution to Outside Online only takes a few minutes and will ensure we can continue supplying the trailblazing, informative journalism that readers like you depend on. We hope you’ll support us. Thank you.

Contribute to Outside
Filed To: News