The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has confirmed that it has received five reports tying highly caffeinated energy drinks to sudden deaths. The reports came to light when a family filed suit last week against the makers of Monster Energy. Wendy Crossland says her 14-year-old daughter died of heart arrhythmia after drinking two large cans of the beverage on two consecutive days. Under current FDA guidelines, companies are not required to disclose caffeine levels in their beverages. A large can of Monster Energy contains 240 milligrams of caffeine, twice the caffeine of a regular cup of coffee.
Via New York Times
Support Outside Online
Our mission to inspire readers to get outside has never been more critical. In recent years, Outside Online has reported on groundbreaking research linking time in nature to improved mental and physical health, and we’ve kept you informed about the unprecedented threats to America’s public lands. Our rigorous coverage helps spark important debates about wellness and travel and adventure, and it provides readers an accessible gateway to new outdoor passions. Time outside is essential—and we can help you make the most of it. Making a financial contribution to Outside Online only takes a few minutes and will ensure we can continue supplying the trailblazing, informative journalism that readers like you depend on. We hope you’ll support us. Thank you.