Women Outside, Fall 1998
I Slough, Therefore I Am
Words of wisdom from Nietzsche, Lao-tzu, and other skin-care experts
By Mary Roach
GEAR | TRAVEL | FITNESS | HEALTH |
STYLE: Fashion | BEAUTY
There was a day when a woman turned to the great philosophers to make sense of Life, Nature, the Cosmos, Combination Skin. Now she hardly has time, what with daily cleansing regimens, weekly deep-pore facial masks, and leave-in conditioners. Perhaps sensing this dilemma, Philosophy cosmetics company prints inspirational musings, penned by founder
Cristina Carlino, on its product packaging. Surely, you protest, this is but a pale cousin of the classics. Perhaps, perhaps not. Of the 10 quotes below, five are from the works of the masters; five are from Philosophy of Life, "an entire collection of philosophy writings from our bottles and jars." See if you can match the saying to the source.
- Everything is soothed by oil ... It smooths every part which is rough.
- Where there is faith, there is hope, and where there is hope, miracles can occur.
- Male and female have the power to fuse into one solid, both because both are nourished in both and because soul is the same thing in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.
- Real players know that there are no second chances.
- Embrace simplicity. Reduce selfishness. Have few desires.
- Hope is desperation, faith is relaxation.
- We come into this world with all the right instincts. We are innocent, and therefore perceive things as they should be, rather than how they are. Our conscience is clear, our hands are clean.
- Let the beam of a star shine in your love! ... Let there be valour in your love!
- Love is the ultimate solvent.
- Water is good; it benefits all things and does not compete with them.
- A. Nietzsche
B. Hope in a Jar moisturizer
C. Real Purity Cleanser
D. Hope and a Prayer topical vitamin C
E. Pliny the Elder
F. The Great Awakening skin rejuvenation treatment