Throughout the pandemic, we'll keep publishing news to help you navigate the state of travel today (like whether travel insurance covers the coronavirus), as well as stories about places for you to put on your bucket list once it's safe to start going more far-flung.
Each year, the editors of Outside hand out our list of Travel Awards. Beginning with our 2015 Travel Awards, we will consistently award the same five prizes each year, in addition to a collection of other awards given at our discretion. The five annual awards will go to the Best U.S. Adventure Hub, Best International Adventure Hub, Best Outfitter/Travel Company, Best Lodge, and Best Guide(s). We invite applications for each of the awards, which will be decided by our team of travel editors and industry experts.
To Apply: Please answer the following questions in a pdf or word document, and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the award type (Best Outfitter/Travel Company, Best Domestic Adventure Hub, Best Lodge, etc) as the subject line.
Deadline: All applications must be received by November 15, 2014.
Decision: Finalists will be announced online in February 2015. Winners will be featured in our April 2015 issue.
Best Outfitter/Travel Company
- What new trips are you offering in the coming year?
- What trip or trips (no more than three) are you most noted for?
- What kind of involvement do your tours have with the local community?
- How do you research your trips?
- Does your company have exclusive access to any areas?
- What does your company do to mitigate your environmental impact?
- What is the average group size on your trips?
- What kinds of customization do you offer to clients?
- What percentage of your clients return for future trips?
- What are your hiring requirements for guides?
- What is the experience level of your guides and are any of your guides particularly noteworthy for their accomplishments?
- What is your safety record and what safety precautions do you take?
- Do you have any type of philanthropic program?
- When was your lodge founded?
- What new activities or events will your lodge host in 2015?
- What types of trips or activities are available through your lodge? Or they guided or self-guided?
- Do you have guides on staff? If so, describe their experience and qualifications
- Does your lodge offer any trips or activities to exclusive areas?
- Briefly describe the rooms, accommodations, and amenities offered at your lodge.
- What efforts has your lodge made to reduce its environmental footprint?
- Please describe the area the lodge is in, including terrain, weather, and adventure potential.
- How many years experience does your nominated guide have?
- What safety training and record does your guide have?
- What trip is your guide best at or most known for?
- What other qualifications does your guide have?
- What is the client satisfaction rate for your guide?
Best U.S. Adventure Hub
- What sports/activities are available within your city or state?
- What type of adventure-focused lodging is available within your city or state?
- What new trails, parks, lodges, etc have opened in the past year that make your city or state the best in its field?
- Is there anything about your city or state that helps it stand above others in your field?
Best International Adventure Hub
- What sports/activities are available within your city or country?
- What type of adventure-focused lodging is available within your city or country?
- What new trails, parks, lodges, etc have opened in the past year that make your city or country the best in its field?
- Is there anything about your city or country that helps it stand above others in the field?
Support Outside Online
Our mission to inspire readers to get outside has never been more critical. In recent years, Outside Online has reported on groundbreaking research linking time in nature to improved mental and physical health, and we’ve kept you informed about the unprecedented threats to America’s public lands. Our rigorous coverage helps spark important debates about wellness and travel and adventure, and it provides readers an accessible gateway to new outdoor passions. Time outside is essential—and we can help you make the most of it. Making a financial contribution to Outside Online only takes a few minutes and will ensure we can continue supplying the trailblazing, informative journalism that readers like you depend on. We hope you’ll support us. Thank you.