Outside magazine is seeking a full-time highly motivated and detail-oriented photography editor. This position is located at our headquarters in Santa Fe, NM. The ideal candidate should have at least 3 years’ working experience in an art department and/or media/editorial fields, or an educational equivalent.
- Research, pitch, and assign photographers for covers, features, and front of book.
- Have and maintain a current and wide knowledge of photographers in portraiture, adventure, documentary, travel, nature, conceptual, and food photography.
- Organize and oversee all aspects of shoot production: working with talent, hiring and managing crews, reigning in the wild and out-of-control ideas of both photographers and creative directors, securing locations and permits, and orchestrating shoot logistics while always hitting an annual budget.
- Track all department invoices and submit to accounting on a timely basis.
- Check digital proofs for photo credits, captions, and markup for retouch.
- Negotiate photographer contracts and image rights.
- Supervise the Photo Studio Manager; assist with production of in-house shoots.
- Assist Outside Online with photography research as needed.
- An eye for talented up-and-coming artists and all-around excellent taste in photography.
- 3(+) years’ photographic and/or magazine experience in a professional setting, including contracting freelance photographers, stock houses, agents, retouchers, etc. (Art school experience can be factored in here.)
- Excellent and detailed communicator, writing skills a plus.
- Must have an all-around positive demeanor and great personality.
- Must demonstrate confident knowledge of editorial photography history and current industry trends.
- Detail-oriented and well-organized proactive problem solver with a commitment to high-quality work.
- Ability to multitask and work under deadline.
- Proficiency with Adobe creative suite.
- BONUS BUT NOT REQUIRED: Technical skills in a photo studio including experience with Hasselblad, Broncolor, 4x5 Phase One digital backs, Capture One, and Phocus.
No telecommuting: This position is based in our headquarters in Santa Fe, NM.
Please send your résumé, cover letter, and portfolio to Petra Zeiler, Art Director, email@example.com. Please include the job title in your e-mail subject line.
Content Marketing Manager
The content marketing manager will work with our marketing and sales teams and a network of freelance writers, photographers, and videographers to create editorial-grade custom proposals and content for print, digital, and social that will resonate with our readers and fulfill our brand partners’ objectives. We’re looking for someone with serious editorial chops, who can handle lead editing and writing everything from gear/service copy to longform profiles but can also knock out presentations, case studies, and other marketing materials. The ideal candidate will work roughly 50% on content and 50% on all other marketing duties.
- Serve as lead editor and project manager on majority of custom content across all platforms. This includes collaborating with clients on ideas and execution strategies and then assigning and lead-editing several stories a week.
- Create, write, and edit all supporting native content materials, including social posts, e-blasts, and co-branded units
- Optimize all content for SEO and social performance
- Source photos and help produce branded content videos for clients
- Collaborate on and create cross-platform, idea-driven marketing solutions, plans, and integrated branded content programs and proposals
- Coordinate with art director, fellow marketing managers, and sales associates to execute all of the above
- Help create case studies, campaign recaps, and all other marketing materials as needed.
- 3 to 5 years marketing or journalism/editorial experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs; familiarity with Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and other social media analysis tools and platforms a bonus
- No telecommuting: This position is based in our headquarters in Santa Fe, NM.
Other Desirable Traits
- Familiarity and passion for the outdoor landscape, including news, brands, trends, influencers, and athletes
- Eager to learn and accept new challenges, working both independently and as a member of a team.
- Enthusiasm, personality, a passion for teamwork, and a positive attitude.
- Excellent problem-solving capability.
- An overarching ability to get sh*t done.
Please send your résumé and cover letter to Sam Moulton, marketing director, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in your email subject line.
Managing Video Producer
We’re looking for a managing video producer to help Outside reach a bigger, more diverse, more engaged audience through a wide variety of visual storytelling.
You’ll manage our three-person video team while collaborating closely with our editors and audience development team. Your charge will be to create and execute big-picture video strategy. Relying on your editing, producing, and management expertise, as well as your familiarity with analytics, you’ll create a yearlong video calendar with monthly play goals to match. You’ll approach each day with a hunger to give Outside’s video channel a strong voice and identity.
- Work with our digital editorial director and audience development director to come up with a long-term strategy for Outside video. Big-picture thinking will be rewarded in this role.
- Set monthly play targets.
- Manage the annual video budget.
- Help manage our marquee video series and work with freelance producers to execute these ideas on deadline.
- Lead our three-person video team.
- Produce original content. This will require shooting videos in-house and traveling to stories.
- Pay rigorous attention to traffic analytics and use that data to help inform story selection.
- Hustle effectively.
Skills and Abilities Required
- At least five years of experience producing video for a digital publication.
- At least two years of management experience.
- In-depth knowledge of Google Analytics.
- A proven record of providing video leadership at another digital publication.
This job is located in Outside’s editorial office in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Please send your résumé and cover letter to Axie Navas, digital editorial director, email@example.com. Please include the job title in your email subject line.
Outside offers a paid, six-month editorial fellowship at our offices in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The next cycle starts in June 2019; we will be considering applications in late spring.
As an editorial fellow, you will work closely with top editors and reporters at an award-winning magazine, with duties including fact-checking, reporting, research, and proofreading. From time to time, fellows also have the opportunity to write for the magazine and website.
An ideal candidate is passionate about the outdoors, knows the magazine well, and has some professional experience working at a newspaper, magazine, or website. Outside is unable to provide work visas for those applying from outside of the United States.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and three relevant writing samples to research editor Luke Whelan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside is independently owned by Mariah Media Network, LLC. The magazine and website cover adventure sports, travel, fitness, health, nutrition, gear, science, and the environment. Every month, through well-crafted writing, reporting, service journalism, photography, and design, we inspire these readers and provide them with the tools they need to fulfill their dreams. Our headquarters are located in beautiful downtown Santa Fe (population 70,000, elevation 7,000 feet), within walking distance of numerous cafés and shops and in view of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, which offer numerous opportunities for running, road and mountain biking, skiing and snowboarding, climbing, and hiking. We enjoy 300-plus sunny days a year.