Outside is looking for a video producer to oversee the creation of short-form outdoor gear videos. The ideal candidate is an eager video journalist who can pitch, report, shoot, produce, and edit on deadline.
- Work with the editorial and video teams to create and execute a gear video strategy across all of Outside’s platforms
- Own all aspects of gear video production, from pitching to shooting to editing
- Collaborate with the social team on innovative ways to package and distribute videos
- 1-2 years of experience in video journalism, ideally at a digital publisher
- Experience in Premiere Pro and After Effects
- Ability to work independently and remain deadline-oriented
- Passion for outdoor gear and products
IMPORTANT: This job is based in Santa Fe, New Mexico. No telecommuting.
No phone calls, please. If you're interested, email your resume, cover letter, and portfolio and/or website, with VIDEO PRODUCER in the subject line, to Marie Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Art Director, Marketing Department
Outside’s marketing department is seeking an art director to oversee and execute design and production services for a variety of projects, including custom content in the magazine and website, event promotional, and other collateral materials in a deadline driven, print- and web-based environment.
- Design and production of graphic materials for sales, promotional, web, and in-book materials for Outside (magazine & digital) and its clients. Print, front-end Web, and environmental graphics are key areas.
- Art direct all custom content, including print, native, and social. Specific duties include layout and design; photo research, editing, and retouching; and occasionally art directing photo shoots.
- Oversee creation of beautiful, engaging decks/presentations and mood boards
- Ability to come up with creative design executions on-the-fly and crank out projects quickly on tight deadlines
- Our dream candidate has a natural talent for typography, a great eye for color, and a fresh and unexpected flair for layout and composition
- 3 to 7 years design experience is preferred, but talent, ability, and enthusiasm can overcome slim workforce experience
- Candidate must be exceptionally detail oriented, organized, and able to handle a high volume of different tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to work within guidelines and strict project parameters while maintaining a fresh, creative approach and sensitivity to brands (and frequently overlapping) identity systems
- Applicants should have an expert knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and general front-end web design and development skills. Experience with the K4 publishing environment, Keynote, and illustration skills a plus.
- Additional skills that are highly valuable include color management, a pplied color theory, basic pre-press operations, typesetting, and other skills related to integrated design and production workflow
IMPORTANT: This job is based in Santa Fe, New Mexico. No telecommuting.
No phone calls, please. If you're interested, email your resume, cover letter, and design portfolio and/or website, with MARKETING ART DIRECTOR in the subject line, to Sam Moulton at email@example.com.
Digital Marketing Manager
The digital marketing manager will work with our digital marketing and sales teams to create proposals for advertisers and build digital marketing materials. You should have excellent writing skills, a good design eye, and love nothing more than to take a big idea and distill it into something an advertiser will love.
- Own the entire digital RFP process
- Work with the digital general manager, marketing team, and sales team on all aspects of pre-sale ideation and execution
- Work with our marketing team to create stunning and effective materials to market Outside Online to potential advertisers
- Collaborate with our digital editorial teams and general manager to introduce sponsorship opportunities around new editorial launches
- Actively seek new digital advertising prospects by reviewing data and research, and constructing sales stories that are custom to the client
- 2+ years digital media/digital marketing experience
- Experience at a leading publisher or social media platform
- Exceptional Keynote or Powerpoint skills
- Strong ability to distill complex ideas for clients
- Knowledge of Google Analytics, Chartbeat, MOAT, DFP
- Skilled in crafting slide decks and written pitch materials
IMPORTANT: This position can be based in either the Santa Fe, New Mexico, or the Boulder, Colorado, office.
No phone calls, please. If you're interested, email your resume, cover letter, and design portfolio and/or website, with DIGITAL MARKETING MANAGER in the subject line, to Sam Moulton at firstname.lastname@example.org and Scott Rosenfield at email@example.com.
Advertising Account Manager
The New York office of Outside, America’s leading active lifestyle brand, is looking for an Advertising Sales Account Manager responsible for revenue growth across all Outside platforms (Outside Online, Outside Magazine, Outside Social, Events, and The Outside Podcast). The Account Manager will work with the VP, of Digital Sales & our Marketing team to develop sales opportunities in the NY Market. Category responsibilities include distilled spirits/beer, outdoor industry, travel, casual apparel/footwear, food & beverage, optics, and media. Ideal candidate has strong digital client and agency contacts and has successfully built and sold multi-platform advertising packages.
- Must be highly motivated, with strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and work independently.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience selling integrated programs and digital advertising in the New York territory.
- Passionate for the active lifestyle and travel a plus.
- Please do not respond if you don’t have the above experience.
Send resumes to executive vice president/chief revenue officer Scott Parmelee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Outside is accepting applications for a paid, six-month editorial fellowship at our offices in Santa Fe. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year, and hires are typically made in early autumn and early spring.
As an editorial fellow, you'll work closely with top editors and reporters at an award-winning magazine, with duties including fact-checking, reporting, research, and proofreading. From time to time, fellows also have the opportunity to write for the magazine and website.
An ideal candidate is passionate about the outdoors, knows the magazine well, and has some professional experience working at a newspaper, magazine, or website. A degree in journalism is a plus, but is not required.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three relevant writing samples to:
Associate Editor, Outside
400 Market Street Santa Fe, NM 87501
Outside is independently owned by Mariah Media Network, LLC. The magazine and website cover adventure sports, travel, fitness, health, nutrition, gear, science, and the environment. Every month, through well-crafted writing, reporting, service journalism, photography, and design, we inspire these readers and provide them with the tools they need to fulfill their dreams. Our headquarters are located in beautiful downtown Santa Fe (pop. 70,000, elevation 7,000 feet), within walking distance of numerous cafés and shops, and in view of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, which offer numerous opportunities for running, road and mountain biking, skiing and snowboarding, climbing, and hiking. We enjoy 300-plus sunny days a year.