Outside is seeking a full-time editor to work in the Santa Fe office and assist with the website and magazine. This staff member will assign and edit a wide range of features and stories, spearhead editorial packages, and assist with editing across both print and online. The ideal candidate is an ambitious editor with a passion for finding the best stories.
- Pitch, assign, and edit online and print stories, from short columns to reported features and packages
- Top edit stories for the website and magazine
- Contribute ideas across the site, and to online and print packages
- Attend weekly story meetings
- Build a stable of new Outside writers
- Work with production, art, and audience development teams to optimize every story
- At least four years of editing experience at a national publication
- Collaborative, team spirit
- Strong communication skills, self-motivated, and highly responsible
- A desire to try out new story formats
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Management or mentorship experience a plus
This job is based in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and we’re unable to consider remote candidates. If you’re interested, please email your resume and a brief letter about your interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 25.
Outside offers a paid, six-month editorial fellowship at our offices in Santa Fe, New Mexico. We will next be considering applications in Spring 2020 for the fellowship cycle starting in June 2020.
As an editorial fellow, you will work closely with top editors and reporters at an award-winning magazine on everything from quick-turnaround stories to longform features. Your duties will predominantly comprise fact-checking and other research tasks, but fellows also have the opportunity to write for the magazine and website.
An ideal candidate is passionate about the outdoors, knows the magazine well, and has some post-college professional experience working at a newspaper, magazine, or website. Outside is unable to provide work visas for those applying from outside of the United States. We also are rarely able to consider applicants who are still in college or just graduated.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and three relevant writing samples to research editor Luke Whelan at email@example.com.
Outside is independently owned by Outside Integrated Media, LLC. The magazine and website cover adventure sports, travel, fitness, health, nutrition, gear, science, and the environment. Every month, through well-crafted writing, reporting, service journalism, photography, and design, we inspire these readers and provide them with the tools they need to fulfill their dreams. Our headquarters are located in beautiful downtown Santa Fe (population 70,000, elevation 7,000 feet), within walking distance of numerous cafés and shops and in view of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, which offer numerous opportunities for running, road and mountain biking, skiing and snowboarding, climbing, and hiking. We enjoy 300-plus sunny days a year.