Editorial Production Assistant
Outside is looking for an editorial production assistant to join our digital team. This person will work closely with our editors, art team, and production manager to present all online content in a clean, timely way. They will also assist with fact-checking stories.
We’re committed to diversity and inclusion in all of our work, and we’d strongly encourage BIPOC and LGBTQ+ candidates to apply.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Tackling both daily and long-term production projects for Outside Online.
- Working closely with the production manager to build stories and packages in the CMS.
- Assisting with stock-photo research and image cropping/uploads.
- Helping with the overall display and presentation of stories.
- Fact-checking stories as needed.
Skills and abilities we’re looking for include:
- Someone who is highly motivated and pays excellent attention to detail.
- Someone who excels in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player who enjoys collaborating with multiple colleagues from a range of different teams.
- Experience navigating a content-management system, preferably Drupal and/or WordPress.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Creative Suite, or similar design and editing applications.
- Previous experience as a producer is a plus, but if you’re a fast learner and interested in the editorial processes of a national magazine, we encourage you to apply.
This role is based in Santa Fe, New York City, or Denver (though we can be flexible about timing due to the pandemic). The pay is $38,000 per year plus benefits.
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com by February 8 with the subject line “Editorial production assistant application.” Feel free to include links to a few relevant work samples if you have them.
Digital Ad-Campaign Manager
Outside Integrated Media, the publisher of Outside magazine and Outside Online, is seeking the right person to join our digital ad-operations team in Denver. This position is crucial to the success of Outside’s digital-advertising program, with the central goal of implementing campaigns in a timely and accurate manner. It requires a close working relationship with Outside’s sales team and regular communication with our clients. Daily tasks include executing digital campaigns for our clients, reviewing and approving insertion orders, and communicating and resolving discrepancies.
Essential duties include:
- Overseeing and managing the execution of Outside’s digital ad campaigns.
- Reviewing and approving agency insertion orders (IOs) and terms and conditions (T&Cs).
- Tracking, communicating, and resolving any discrepancies between campaign proposals and IOs, and between client T&Cs and Outside’s cancellation policy.
- Communicating specifications and ad-operations timelines to clients in a timely and professional manner, and, post sale, serving as the main ad-operations point of contact for clients.
- Meeting and exceeding client expectations by providing the highest level of customer service and developing strategies to resolve issues as they arise.
- Accurately communicating marketing and editorial programs to the appropriate internal teams.
- Gathering, reviewing, and tracking creative content, and sending it to the ad trafficking team.
- Ensuring the timely launch of custom editorial products, including but not limited to native and editorial sponsorships.
- Setting up and removing Outside Online promotions as needed.
- Advocating for client needs and issues across multiple departments.
- Providing banner ad-performance data and benchmarks to assist with campaign-performance analysis.
Some of the skills, abilities, and experience we’re looking for include:
- Being able to quickly learn and develop a strong understanding of Outside’s digital product offerings.
- Managing workflow while coordinating with internal teams on schedules, campaign requirements, goals, and assignments as needed.
- Demonstrating strong customer-service orientation and the ability to foster relationships with clients, vendors, and Outside employees; being flexible, patient, courteous, and professional.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, which are critical for success and include organization, interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of change and innovation.
- A strong level of comfort and confidence in answering and/or resolving client inquiries.
- A strong level of computer literacy, with proficiency on Mac systems strongly preferred.
- A strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (especially Excel) and Google Docs.
- Experience with Google Analytics and Google Ad Manager (strongly preferred); at a minimum, experience with comparable products is required.
- A bachelor’s degree (required), with a degree in digital marketing or something similar preferred.
- One year of experience in digital campaign management and ad operations (required), with two years of experience highly preferred.
- Previous professional experience in the outdoor industry (a plus, but not required).
- Prior successful experience communicating directly with clients (required).
Pay range is $45,000 to $51,500 DOE.
This full-time job is based at Outside’s office in Denver, although we are currently and temporarily largely remote due to COVID-19. To be hired, you must be willing and able to work at our Denver office; applicants who wish to be only remote will not be considered.
Send your résumé and cover letter to our human resources manager at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the job title in your email subject line. Applications that do not include a cover letter will not be reviewed.
The Outside Fellowship Program
Outside offers paid six-month fellowships at our headquarters in Santa Fe. We have a few different fellowship roles—including editorial, production, and video production—all of which include working closely with top editors on everything from fact-checking long-form features to building stories and editing videos. Our fellows are included in nearly all of Outside’s editorial processes, including feature pitch meetings, film shoots, and casual brainstorming sessions. We are no longer accepting applications for the fellowship cycle starting in March 2021. We will update this page when we’re hiring for the next fellowship cycle. In the meantime, you can learn more about our fellowships, and how to apply, here.
Outside is independently owned by Outside Integrated Media, LLC. The magazine and website cover adventure sports, travel, fitness, health, nutrition, gear, science, and the environment. Every month, through well-crafted writing, reporting, service journalism, photography, and design, we inspire our readers and provide them with the tools they need to fulfill their dreams. Our headquarters are located in beautiful downtown Santa Fe (population 70,000, elevation 7,000 feet), within walking distance of numerous cafés and shops and in view of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, which offer numerous opportunities for running, road and mountain biking, skiing and snowboarding, climbing, and hiking. We enjoy 300-plus sunny days a year.
Support Outside Online
Our mission to inspire readers to get outside has never been more critical. In recent years, Outside Online has reported on groundbreaking research linking time in nature to improved mental and physical health, and we’ve kept you informed about the unprecedented threats to America’s public lands. Our rigorous coverage helps spark important debates about wellness and travel and adventure, and it provides readers an accessible gateway to new outdoor passions. Time outside is essential—and we can help you make the most of it. Making a financial contribution to Outside Online only takes a few minutes and will ensure we can continue supplying the trailblazing, informative journalism that readers like you depend on. We hope you’ll support us. Thank you.