Digital Ad Operations Manager
Outside is looking for a Digital Ad Operations Manager in our Denver, Colorado, office. The Manager is responsible for the successful execution of all online display, native, video and podcast advertising campaigns for Outside’s digital properties.
- Oversee all pre- and post-sales operations, including trafficking, campaign optimization, third party ad systems, client reporting, scheduling, and reporting
- Manage ad trafficking vendor
- Own all digital ad reporting, including oversight of all monthly ad billing
- Manage site and ad operations metrics, including inventory and traffic forecasting, sell through rates, viewability, ad performance, native buys
- Approve all insertion orders to ensure accuracy and compliance with internal policies
- Lead on all ad analytics and ad tech
- Drive new ad product development in conjunction with Digital Sales and Site operations
- Act as liaison with content team on inventory management
- Act as liaison with development team for all ad implementation
- 3+ years of Ad Operations experience, preferably within an entertainment/media company
- Expertise in Google Ad Manager, DFA, MOAT, Google Analytics, and third-party tracking systems
- Thorough understanding of online advertising industry trends & players
- Mastery of Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
IMPORTANT: This job is based in Denver, Colorado. No telecommuting; only candidates that can work at that office will be considered. To apply, email your cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Manager at email@example.com and reference the job title in your subject line.
Digital Visuals Editor
Outside is seeking a full-time, highly motivated Digital Visuals Editor. This person will work closely with our art team and editors to present all online content in a visually engaging way.
- Oversee all visuals on the website, including: leading photo research, working with illustrators and photographers, art directing in-house online shoots, and helping to build a cohesive visual online presence for the brand
- Work closely with the production manager to build stories and packages in the CMS
- Collaborate with Outside’s art director on assigning photos or illustrations for online features
- Bonus but not required: assist in photo research for the print magazine, in the studio, and the Buyer’s Guide
- At least two years of magazine experience or experience as an illustrator, photographer, and/or producer (art school experience can be factored in)
- An eye for strong photography and illustration that suits the Outside brand
- A demonstrated knowledge of editorial illustration, photography, and current industry trends
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- A basic understanding of HTML
- An ability to multitask and work under deadline
- A basic understanding of photo-licensing rights
- Excellent and detailed communication skills
- Must be enthusiastic and have an all-around positive demeanor
- Attention to detail and ability to proactively solve problems
This position is based in our headquarters in Santa Fe, New Mexico (telecommuting is not an option). To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and portfolio to art director Petra Zeiler at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in your email subject line.
Outside is seeking a full-time editor to work in the Santa Fe office and assist with the website and magazine. This staff member will assign and edit a wide range of features and stories, spearhead editorial packages, and assist with editing across both print and online. The ideal candidate is an ambitious editor with a passion for finding the best stories.
- Pitch, assign, and edit online and print stories, from short columns to reported features and packages
- Top edit stories for the website and magazine
- Contribute ideas across the site, and to online and print packages
- Attend weekly story meetings
- Build a stable of new Outside writers
- Work with production, art, and audience development teams to optimize every story
- At least four years of editing experience at a national publication
- Collaborative, team spirit
- Strong communication skills, self-motivated, and highly responsible
- A desire to try out new story formats
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Management or mentorship experience a plus
This job is based in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and we’re unable to consider remote candidates. If you’re interested, please email your resume and a brief letter about your interest in this position to email@example.com by November 25.
Outside is seeking a Video Producer to join our video team. This video producer role is responsible for overseeing the creation of short-form videos. Daily tasks will commonly include pitching ideas, reporting, shooting, producing, and editing on deadline. This role requires regular collaboration and communication with the online editorial team. This is a full-time job located in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Shoot, edit, and produce 2-3 short-form videos a week for Outside channels
- Work with the editorial and video teams to create and execute a video strategy across all of Outside’s platforms
- Produce content that demonstrates a high level of professionalism and positively projects and promotes the Outside brand
- Collaborate with the audience development team on innovative ways to package and distribute videos
- Aid in media management, such as backing up footage, ingesting, and organizing new and old footage
- Strong computer software skills and knowledge required
- One to two years of experience in video editing software required; in-depth knowledge of Premiere Pro and After Effects is highly preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and Google Docs required
- Ability to work with all employees, clients, and vendors in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner
- Must be able to work independently, remain deadline-oriented, and excel under pressure
- A passion for outdoor gear and products strongly preferred
Education and Experience:
- A two or four-year college degree in a related field is preferred, or equivalent experience
- One to two years of experience in video journalism required; experience at a digital publisher ideal
No phone calls, please. If you're interested, email your cover letter, resume, and website or portfolio to the video team at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 25.
Audience Development Fellow
Outside is hiring a fellow for our audience development team. This is a 6-month paid position for an early career journalist who is looking to learn the ins and outs of audience work at a fast-paced, award-winning magazine. The fellow will be an integral member of the team—no coffee runs or busy work here—and will walk away with portfolio-boosting clips and lifelong mentors. We’re looking for someone to start in January 2020.
- The audience fellow will have sole ownership over one audience platform for the duration of their fellowship. It will be theirs to nourish, experiment on, and grow with assistance from the audience team.
- Writing posts for various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, with a combined following of more than 2.5 million.
- Assisting the 4-person audience team in editorial tasks such as headline writing, newsletter writing, data gathering, and more.
- Embedding with one of our channels—adventure, travel, health, culture, gear, or video—to provide audience insight on stories and digital projects.
- Fact-checking for the web site and print magazine.
- Passionate about audience engagement and development, social media, storytelling, and digital trends. You like memes and spreadsheets.
- A team player who loves to collaborate.
- Adept at juggling multiple projects at once.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- A background in journalism, writing, editing, social media, or audience development. (Prior audience or social media experience a plus, but not required—anyone with writing and editing experience who is interested in audience development should apply.)
- Prior experience with Social Flow, Google Analytics, Chartbeat, and/or Photoshop a plus.
- Prior fact-checking experience a plus.
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, and relevant social handles to Abbey Gingras at email@example.com by Friday, Nov. 29. No phone calls, please.
Important: This job is based in Santa Fe, New Mexico. No remote work applications will be considered.
Outside offers a paid, six-month editorial fellowship at our offices in Santa Fe, New Mexico. We will next be considering applications in Spring 2020 for the fellowship cycle starting in June 2020.
As an editorial fellow, you will work closely with top editors and reporters at an award-winning magazine on everything from quick-turnaround stories to longform features. Your duties will predominantly comprise fact-checking and other research tasks, but fellows also have the opportunity to write for the magazine and website.
An ideal candidate is passionate about the outdoors, knows the magazine well, and has some post-college professional experience working at a newspaper, magazine, or website. Outside is unable to provide work visas for those applying from outside of the United States. We also are rarely able to consider applicants who are still in college or just graduated.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and three relevant writing samples to research editor Luke Whelan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside is independently owned by Outside Integrated Media, LLC. The magazine and website cover adventure sports, travel, fitness, health, nutrition, gear, science, and the environment. Every month, through well-crafted writing, reporting, service journalism, photography, and design, we inspire these readers and provide them with the tools they need to fulfill their dreams. Our headquarters are located in beautiful downtown Santa Fe (population 70,000, elevation 7,000 feet), within walking distance of numerous cafés and shops and in view of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, which offer numerous opportunities for running, road and mountain biking, skiing and snowboarding, climbing, and hiking. We enjoy 300-plus sunny days a year.