We Collect Personal Information From and About You
We collect, receive, and develop several different categories of personal information about you depending on the nature of your interactions with us:
- Contact Information. We may collect your name and email address. We may also collect your street address, zip code, or phone number. We may collect other I.D. numbers like your account number and usernames.
- Purchase and Preference Information. We collect your order history, such as your orders with us. We also collect information about the gear and products from other brands that you browse on our sites. We collect information about your interests and preferences, including which newsletters you sign up for.
- Payment Information. If you make purchases, we might collect your credit card information, such as your credit card number, expiration date, card verification number, and billing address.
- Information you submit or post. We collect the information you submit to us or post in a public space on our platform.
- Demographic Information. We may collect your age and gender. We may also collect your zip code.
- Usage, Behavioral, and Device Information. We use tracking technologies to automatically collect information about how you interact with our websites and our online content and ads. This may include the website browser you are using, the pages you visit, the content you view and click on, the search terms you enter, or the third-party websites from which or to which you go from our platform. We may also collect information about your equipment or device like an IP address or a device or advertising identifier. We might look at how often you use the app and where you downloaded it.
- Location Information. We may collect information about your general location by using your IP address.
- Employment-Related Information. We collect information you submit when applying for a job or submitting a cover letter or resume. This may include information about your work experience and previous employment, your education history, writing samples, the URL to your personal or professional websites, your workplace skill sets and certifications, and any other information you provide.
We Use Personal Information as Described Below
We use personal information for our business purposes. These include:
- To respond to your requests and fulfill your orders. For example, we may use your personal information to fulfill an order you place with us or to contact you about a purchase, question, or complaint.
- To operate and improve our platforms and offerings, and to personalize your experience. For example, we analyze trends to improve platform layout and determine what our users are most interested in. We also personalize our platform to your specific preferences.
- To promote Outside Online (including our affiliates and related companies), and to promote our products and services. For example, we might send you updates about our platforms or new products and special offers. We may also send you other information which we think you might find interesting. These may be for our own products and services, or those of other brands that we think you might be interested in.
- To serve you advertisements. We may tailor and serve you advertisements on other websites and platforms based on your information.
- To tell you about other brands’ products or services we think you will like. For example, we might send you information about a deal that we are able to offer to our registered users.
- To protect our platforms and services. We may use any personal information we have to protect our company, our customers, and our services, including to detect, prevent, and remediate fraud or other illegal activity.
- For hiring purposes. We use your information to review your job applications and contact you about employment opportunities.
We use personal information as otherwise permitted by law or as we may notify you.
We Collect Personal Information from Different Sources
We collect personal information from the following categories of sources:
- We collect information directly from you. For example, we collect information from you when you register on our platform, enter a contest, make a purchase, post or submit content, or take one of our online surveys.
- We collect information from your devices. For example, we use tracking tools like cookies and web beacons to automatically collect information about you when you interact with our platforms, our ads, and emails that we send to you. We collect information about users over time and across different platforms and devices. We may have third parties collect personal information this way.
- We get information from vendors we hire to provide services on our behalf, such as vendors that develop, host or maintain our platforms, send promotional emails or help us manage our customer relationships, employment and recruiting vendors, marketing agencies, and advertising technology vendors.
- We get information about you from other parties. We may get information about you or your preferences from our business or marketing partners and from social media platforms.
We combine information about you in a variety of ways. For example, if you are a subscriber to our print magazine and register on this platform, we may combine the information we already have about you. We may also combine information that we get from other parties with information we already have. We may combine information that we collect across devices or platforms.
We Share Information with Other Parties
We share personal information under the following circumstances:
- We may share personal information within the Outside Integrated Media family of companies.
- We share information with vendors who perform services on our behalf. We may share personal information with vendors that send emails for us, run our websites and contests, process payments, provide advertising or marketing services, track advertising impressions, provide analytics services, investigate and prevent data incidents, audit our business and financial statements, provide legal advice, and place our advertisements on other platforms. Some transfers of your personal information to our vendors may be viewed as a “sale” under certain state laws. For more information, see our Do Not Sell My Info page.
- We may share information with business partners and marketing companies. For example, we might share your information when we conduct a joint promotion with another company or refer you to a third-party brand whose products you are interested in buying. We may also allow our business and advertising partners to collect information directly from our websites or apps. We may also share personal information with social media platforms, advertising networks, and ad tech companies. Some transfers of your personal information to our business partners and marketing companies may be viewed as a “sale” under certain state laws. For more information, see our Do Not Sell My Info page.
- We will share information with any successor to all or part of our business. For example, if part of our business was sold we may give our customer list as part of that transaction, which may include your personal information.
- We may share information if we think we have to in order to comply with the law or to protect ourselves. For example, we will share any personal information as necessary to respond to subpoenas or investigative requests. We might share personal information if we are investigating potential fraud. If you are the winner of a sweepstakes or contest, we may also share your information with anyone who requests a winner’s list.
- We may share information for other reasons as we may describe to you.
- To opt-out of the sharing of your personal information with LiveRamp, please click here.
Your Choices Regarding Use of Your Information
You can opt out of getting marketing emails by following the instructions in any marketing emails you receive. You can also opt out by sending an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word “unsubscribe” in the subject line. Even if you opt out of getting marketing messages, we will still send you transactional messages.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you reside in California, you have the right to ask us one time each year if we have shared personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make a request, please send us an email, or write to us at the address listed below. Indicate in your letter that you are a California resident making a “Shine the Light” inquiry.
If you reside in California, you also have the right to make the following more specific requests with respect to your personal information:
- Access – You have the right to request that we disclose to you the categories of personal information we collected about you, the categories of sources from which we collected the personal information, the categories of personal information we sold or disclosed, our business or commercial purpose for collecting and selling the personal information, the categories of third parties with whom we shared the personal information, and the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you over the past 12 months.
- Deletion – You can request that we delete your personal information that we maintain about you, subject to certain exceptions.
We will not discriminate against you because you exercised any of these rights.
Note that for purposes of these rights, personal information does not include information about job applicants, employees and other of our personnel; or information about employees and other representatives of third-party entities we may interact with.
California residents can exercise these rights online by clicking here, by emailing us at email@example.com or by calling us at 312-222-1100. We may deny certain requests, or fulfill a request only in part, based on our legal rights and obligations. For example, we may retain personal information as permitted by law, such as for tax or other record keeping purposes, to maintain an active account, and to process transactions and facilitate customer requests.
We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to responding to your requests. The verification steps will vary depending on the sensitivity of the personal information and whether you have an account with us.
California residents may designate an authorized agent to make a request on their behalf. When submitting the request, please ensure the authorized agent is identified as an authorized agent.
For purposes of exercising these rights, please note the following regarding how we collect and use your personal information as described in this policy, including in the previous 12 months:
- We may collect, and use for our business and commercial purposes, the following categories of personal information as set forth in applicable California law: Identifiers; payment and customer records information; commercial information; professional or employment information; internet or other electronic network activity information; and inferences. We collect this personal information from the sources described above.
- We may sell the following categories of personal information: Identifiers; commercial information; Internet or other electronic network activity; and inferences.
Your EU Privacy Rights
If you are a resident of the European Union, you have the following rights, where provided under applicable law, regarding your personal data (each of which are subject to various exceptions and limitations):
- The right to rectification: You are entitled to have your personal data corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to erasure: This is also known as “the right to be forgotten” and, in simple terms, enables you to request the deletion or removal of your personal data where there’s no compelling reason for us to keep using it. This is not a general right to erasure; there are exceptions.
- The right to restrict processing: You have rights to “block” or suppress further use of your personal data. When processing is restricted, we can still store your information, but may not use it further. We keep lists of people who have asked for further use of their information to be “blocked” to make sure the restriction is respected in the future.
- The right to data portability: You have the right to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services and platforms.
- The right to object: You have the right to object to certain types of processing, in particular processing based on our legitimate interests. You also can object at any time to your personal data being used for direct marketing purposes (including profiling related to such direct marketing). Where you object to processing for direct marketing purposes, the personal data shall no longer be processed for such purposes.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint or believe our processing of your information does not comply with data protection law, you can make a complaint to an EU data protection authority.
We will retain your personal data for as long as needed to provide you with any services which you request. We will retain and use your personal data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
We process your personal data where you have consented, where it is necessary to perform our contract with you, to perform our legal obligations, and/or for the purposes of our legitimate interests.
Please note your rights in relation to your personal data are not absolute. We may, for example, deny you access to your personal data when required or authorized by law, or if granting access would have an unreasonable impact on another individual’s privacy.
Third parties advertise on our platforms, and we also contract with third parties to serve ads across the internet and across multiple devices. The ads we serve may be based on tracking activities, as described in more detail here.
We use industry standard security measures designed to protect our platforms. However, we cannot guarantee that the Internet or your use of our platforms will be completely secure. We encourage you to take steps to protect yourself online. For example, do not share your password with other people including ensuring that any online account information you have remains secure.
Our platforms are not created for children. We do not believe children are interested in our platforms, and do not knowingly collect information from children under 16. If you are a parent or guardian and think we have information about your child who is under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about how to protect your child online, visit the FTC’s website and read the helpful information provided by the FTC.
Our platforms are operated in the United States and other countries located outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and are subject to United States laws. If you are located outside the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to or processed in the United States or other countries located outside the EEA. The standard of data protection in the United States and in certain other countries where we may process your information is considered by the European Commission to be not adequate when compared to the date protection standards of the EU and EEA. Please also be aware that by using our platforms and giving us your information, you consent to such transfer.
From time to time we may change our privacy practices. The latest version of this policy will be posted here. If there is a material change to this policy, we will notify you as required by law. Please check our platforms periodically for updates.
How to Contact Us
If users have any questions, comments, or concerns about our privacy practices, you can email us at email@example.com. You can call us at 312-222-1100. If you would like to write to us, our address is Outside Integrated Media, LLC, 444 North Michigan Ave. Suite 3350, Chicago IL 60611.