The Ten Basic Commandments of Ski Rentals
You are the mountain's disciple
Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.
1. These are thy skis. Thou shalt see that they are your skis by the small decal on the skis in which we have written your first name.
2. Thou shalt use no other skis but thine, even though there will be hundreds of pairs of similar skis when thou walks out of the lodge after lunch.
3. Thou shalt remember that there is no left ski nor right ski, that these skis are interchangeable.
4. Thou shalt wear these boots so that the buckles are on the outside of thy feet, not on the insteps of thy feet.
5. Thou shalt remove thy skis when crossing a non-snow-covered surface such as a parking lot.
6. Thou shalt return these same skis, and not other skis, to the rental shop at the end of the day.
7. Thou shalt keep holy the edges of the skis, as well as the straightness of the poles. Thou shalt not drag the skis on any surface while walking.
8. Thou shalt wash thy feet at least once in the days before the day of renting boots, and thou shalt wear clean socks when wearing the ski boots, like a decent human being.
9. Thou shalt not covet things like a “free upgrade,” or the “local’s discount” at the rental shop. If thou wants better gear, thou shalt pay for it.
10. Thou shalt maybe think about staying out of the terrain park altogether.