Dr. Tracy Beth Høeg on the Endurance Podcast with Ian Sharman
Tracy Beth Høeg, accomplished ultra runner, MD and researcher talks about how COVID-19 affects runners, bone health, vision loss and hallucinations during ultras, the menstrual cycle and more.
Outside's long reads email newsletter features our strongest writing, most ambitious reporting, and award-winning storytelling about the outdoors. Sign up today.
The PodiumRunner Endurance Podcast is hosted by Ian Sharman, a professional ultra runner and coach with over 200 marathons or ultra finishes and more than 50 wins (www.sharmanultra.com, twitter.com/sharmanian). We discuss training and racing topics with leading sports scientists and how to practically apply research findings for marathoners and ultra runners.
New episodes drop on the first Wednesday of each month.
Here’s Episode 6:
Episode 6: Dr. Tracy Beth Høeg on COVID-19, hallucinations and much more.
Today we’re talking to Tracy Beth Høeg, MD, PhD who practices Sports, Spine and Regenerative Medicine at Northern California Orthopaedic Associates. She is an Associate Researcher at the University of California-Davis and a journalist, currently for Ultra Running Magazine. She’s also a Danish-American double citizen who has run in the Trail Ultra World Championships for Team USA and for Team Denmark in the Long Distance Mountain Running World Championships. She’s currently based in Kings Beach, California.
This show delves into a really wide variety of topics because I wanted to pick Tracy’s brain is several key areas where she’s an expert. We talked about:
• How COVID-19 affects runners.
• Various studies she’s been part of at WS100 and their practical implications, especially related to runners and bone health plus metabolonics analysis (basically looking at the correlation between different small molecule metabolic products within the body for faster runners versus slower runners).
• Temporary vision loss through Corneal Edema in ultras, including how it happens and how to avoid it.
• Hallucinations in ultra running.
• The Menstrual Cycle and how this affects training and racing.
• Regenerative Medicine, especially Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate injections, Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatment and Prolotherapy. The discussion focused on what these are, when they get used and common myths and misconceptions.