Necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating bacteria, rendered a mud run participant blind in one eye.
Necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating bacteria, rendered a mud run participant blind in one eye. (Photo: Tjeerd Booij)

Woman Exposed to Flesh-Eating Bacteria During Mud Run

Loses vision in one eye

17 maart 2013, Haarlemmermeer
Image

Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+.

A Dallas woman was exposed to flesh eating bacterial infection during a mud run event earlier this month, the New York Daily News reported Wednesday. 

The bacterial infection, necrotizing fasciitis, rendered Brittany Williams blind in one eye. Since she’s uninsured, Williams says she’s on the hook for more than $100,000 in medical bills.

The Daily News points out this isn’t the first time a participant has gotten sick from an obstacle course race. A Nevada race in 2012 caused more than 20 participants to become ill after likely swallowing contaminated water.

UPDATE: June 29, 11:30 MST: An earlier version of this article stated that necrotizing fasciitis was a specific bacteria. It is a bacterial infection.

Filed to:
Lead Photo: Tjeerd Booij

promo logo
sms