Gear Girl: Mother’s Day Gifts for Every Budget
As a general rule, moms rule. A great way to show your love and appreciation for the woman who likely nurtured you through pimples, proms, and pre-marriage jitters is a gift that encourages her to get outside to release all that residual stress you created over the years. A few good gifts: (click on any thumbnail to see a full-size image)
• Smartwool Women’s PhD UltraLight Mini ($16; smartwool.com) Just like Mom, socks are the foundation for happiness. These merino wool crews not only stay in place and feel good on your feet, they also come in a flowery motif that has Mom written all over it.
• Klean Kanteen Breast Cancer Fund Bottle ($20; kleankanteen.com). Chances are your mom or someone she loves has had a run-in with breast cancer. Help keep the disease at bay by giving her this “Prevention Purple” 27 oz. stainless steel hydration bottle. $2 from every sale goes to support the Breast Cancer Fund.
• Merrell Iso Fleece Jacket ($79; merrell.com). With a feminine fit featuring flattering details like scalloped edges at the waist, this microfleece jacket has seven times greater wind resistance that your average fleece.
• Eddie Bauer Sandstone Soft Shell Jacket ($80; eddiebauer.com). If your mom is of the bionic variety and likes to get amongst the elements, this lightweight, breathable, wind- and water-resistant four-way stretch, double-weave nylon/polyester/spandex jacket will be her new go-to piece.
• Sole Premium Flips ($95; yoursole.com). Summer has almost arrived. Package these super-soft, supple-leather flipflops with moldable heel cups, adjustable arch support, and metatarsal pads, with a gift certificate for a free pedicure. Mom will love you even more.
• La Sportiva Electron ($120; sportiva.com). La Sportiva’s new form-fitting Electron will give Mom all the support she needs, plenty of PU and EVA midsole shock protection for bumps in the trail, and enough agility to maneuver the most technical terrain, whether she’s walking or running.
• Kaenon Squeeze Sunglasses ($219-$229; kaenon.com). A little glamour goes a long way: These new performance frames designed specifically for smaller faces have thin, flexible temples with an RX-adaptable polarized lens, making them not only comfortable, but an ideal sunglass for endless summer days on the water. Available in black and two hand-painted color treatments, Passion Tea and Smoky Topaz.
• A Tree ($20 for three; wg.convio.net/site/PageServer). Flowers are nice, but why not go with a more sustainable option, like an entire tree? If there’s no room left in Mom’s backyard, buy a few trees through an organization like WildEarth Guardians. Every spring their Stream Team will plant your donated trees along badly eroded Western waterways. Mom gets good karma and a lovely gift card.