New-Fashioned Chicken Alfredo
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This lighter take on the comforting classic dish can be prepared in 30 minutes on your stovetop, making it a perfect weeknight dinner. It swaps out the heavy cream for nutrient-dense ingredients, without sacrificing flavor: cashews and tahini are blended to create a creamy plant-based sauce, while the addition of nutritional yeast and garlic gives it a cheesy feel. The sauce is also great for mac and cheese or drizzled over roasted vegetables.
- 8 oz dry whole-grain fettuccine pasta
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 500 grams (roughly one pound) sliced cremini mushrooms
- 5 oz baby spinach
For the cashew sauce
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. each sea salt and ground black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Basil leaves, optional garnish
1. In a pot of boiling water, prepare pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
2. In a large skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper; cook until browned and cooked through, 8 minutes. Remove to a plate. Add remaining oil and onions; cook for 5 mins until soft. Add mushrooms and remaining salt and pepper; cook an additional 10 minutes. Stir in spinach.
3. Prepare sauce: To a food processor, add cashews, garlic, almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper; process until smooth.
4. Pour sauce over pasta. Add mushroom mixture and chicken. Heat over medium-low heat until heated through, about 3 minutes. Serve with pepper flakes and garnish with basil leaves if desired.
Make Ahead: The cashew sauce can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 5 days.