Smoky Vegan Banh Mi
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This vegan take on the popular sandwich swaps meat for grilled Field Roast steaks smothered with a flavorful, spicy sauce. Many of the traditional flavors and textures remain, though, including a crunchy bite of fresh vegetables and a swipe of creamy (vegan) mayo. It’s from the cookbook, Field Roast, by Tommy McDonald, former head chef at Field Roast, which has been producing vegan sausages, roasts, and burgers since 1997.
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- ½ cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar, divided
- 2 tsp. roasted chili paste
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium-size carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 (2-inch long) piece daikon radish, peeled and shredded
- 1 Tbsp. safflower oil
- ½ pound Field Roast Celebration Roast, sliced into ½-inch-thick steaks
- 1 loaf vegan crusty French bread, cut into 4 sandwich-size pieces and sliced down one side
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into strips about the size of a french fry
- 1 jalapeño pepper, membrane and seeds removed, cut into strips
- 8 sprigs cilantro, trimmed at the base
1.In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the sesame oil, soy sauce or tamari, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, chili paste, tomato paste, and garlic. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for ten minutes. Remove the sauce from heat and set aside.
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine the carrot, daikon, and remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar, toss thoroughly, and set aside.
3. Brush the steaks with the oil. In a skillet or grill over medium-high heat, grill each steak for 3 minutes per side. Remove the steaks from heat and cut each into strips.
4. Toss the strips in the sauce and return to the grill or skillet for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
5. Lightly toast each piece of bread. Spread the mayo on the inside of each piece of bread, then layer on the roast, cucumber, carrot mixture, jalapeño, and cilantro.