Fabian Cancellara to Retire
Cyclist will complete in 2016 season
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
On Tuesday night, at the annual Swiss Cycling Awards in Zurich, cyclist Fabian Cancellara announced that he planned to retire after the 2016 season, as reported by VeloNews. “Next year is my last year. Cycling is not my life, but only a part of my life,” he told red carpet interviewers, according to Swiss radio station SRF Sport.
As VeloNews notes, Cancellara’s announcement confirmed previous suggestions from the 34-year-old Swiss cyclist that the two serious back injuries he suffered in 2015 marked a pivotal moment in his 15-year career.
“ was not an easy year,” Cancellara told VeloNews in an interview last month. “I had some tough times. That is not a secret. An athlete doesn’t want to sit in bed looking at the ceiling or lounge outside counting the stars. … I want to enjoy and suffer on my bike, but not in the way [I’ve suffered].”
He added that he would not be competing in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.