(Inga Hendrickson)
2020 Winter Buyers Guide

The Best Men’s and Women’s Flannel Shirts of 2020

These shirts do it all—dinner, drinks, and (yes) lumberjacking


Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.

First, let’s be clear about something. Flannel is a fabric, not a pattern­—like, say, plaid. (Plaid just happens to be one of the more popular patterns used in flannel apparel.) Semantics aside, there’s a reason everyone’s wearing flannel shirts again: they look good and are more functional (and comfortable) than your average button-up.

Columbia Flare Gun Stretch ($65)

(Courtesy Columbia)

Take Columbia’s Flare Gun Stretch, a cotton-blend classic: loose fitting, super soft, and cut long for maximum comfort. We found ourselves wanting to wear it a few days in a row. So we did.

Buy Now

Filson’s Women’s Western ($135)

(Courtesy Filson)

The brushed-cotton twill of Filson’s Women’s Western is butter soft against your skin, and it has just enough structure—particularly in the cuffs and collar—to offer a tailored look without sacrificing comfort. Style points for the pearl snaps.

Buy Now

Stio Dovetail Cabin ($109)

(Courtesy Stio)

Stio’s Dovetail Cabin is equal parts snug—made of brushed cotton—and lightweight. It features a longer, more feminine cut and a roomy fit without looking frumpy.

Buy Now

Mountain Hardwear Moiry ($95)

(Courtesy Mountain Hardwear)

The handsome navy and yellow buffalo check sets the Mountain Hardwear Moiry apart. Its tight cotton weave provides durability and unrestricting structure, and the cropped cut is stylish.

Buy Now

Fjällräven Canada LS W ($150)

(Courtesy Fjällräven)

Made of 70 percent antimicrobial, temperature-regulating wool, the Fjällräven Canada LS W is a little on the heavy side, but it’s supremely functional. The other 30 percent is polyester, lending the shirt a bit of stretch, making it possibly the perfect shirt for actual lumberjacks.

Buy Now

Hugh and Crye Swanson ($85)

(Courtesy Hugh and Crye)

Despite being a menswear brand, Hugh and Crye received praise from both men and women for its all-cotton Swanson. The flannel is soft and the fit options plenty, so you can get one worthy of dressing up.

Buy Now

From Winter 2020 Buyer’s Guide Lead Photo: Inga Hendrickson

When you buy something using the retail links in our stories, we may earn a small commission. We do not accept money for editorial gear reviews. Read more about our policy.

promo logo